Buying harness and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During my last trip I saw an instructor with a wing, that seemed really much more comfortable under water.

Thought I would do some research since I wanted to buy my own BC, ended up looking at two sets:

I also read about GUE and I thought I might look at GUE training when I have more experience. It seems that GUE is quite strict on the equipment.

1. Does anyone know if the equipment above would be somewhat GUE okish ?

2. Also someone told me that I do not need a backplate if I dive single cylinder (which I plan to do at first), is that correct ?
  3. Also I am not too sure if I need 30 or 38 lift with a single cylinder

1. There is no real "okish" it is either compatible or it is not compatible. The Elite II harness is not compatible. The Apeks Ultralight Travel Plate I don't believe is compatible. It shouldn't be.
2. That is not correct, the backplates are required.
If you are between those, the Apeks will be better. Weigh whether the 1.3kg is that critical for your travel weight allowance and consider a SS backplate. When travelling it is not uncommon when diving without a wetsuit to not need any lead with one.

I have the exact hollis set up and am quite happy with. I went that route because my LDS sells Hollis and I got a great price on it. There are less expensive options out there that likely aren't much different.

The Elite II harness is not GUE appropriate to my understanding, but changing out the harness isn't that difficult.

Bigger question is why not use a SS backplate? I purchased the aluminum because most of my diving is done traveling and with all the stuff my wife brings on trips, we're often knocking at the door of weight limits. If I bought again, I'd probably just go SS.

At the moment I am planning to get more experience and do mostly recreational diving during travel. This is why I wanted a light plate.

I just want to ‘future proof’ what I buy if I can.

Is the Elite II not GUE appropriate because of the 4 chest D rings ?

Also the Apeks wing has a lower lift than the Hollis (30 vs 38), I don’t know if that may be an issue.

the apeks d30 and ss plate could do double duty for uk diving. just a bit heavier in luggage. if you don't plan to do much cold water diving, a d18 and aluminum plate with basic harness works well.

At the moment I am planning to get more experience and do mostly recreational diving during travel. This is why I wanted a light plate.

2 extra chest d-rings, right hip d-ring, two quick releases, shoulder epaulets *the pads are frowned upon but I don't think expressly forbidden*, chest strap, and waist side plates. Whew. Unfortunately because of the quick releases and d-rings associated with them you can't make it dir compatible. This for reference is a direct knock-off of the Dive Rite Transplate.

xDeep and Dive Rite both have skeletonized ss backplates that may work as well.

Also the Apeks wing has a lower lift than the Hollis (30 vs 38), I don’t know if that may be an issue.

You can put as many D rings on as you'd like. I have mine set up for only two currently as I don't really have any need for more and I find with 4 they seem to either be too high or too low.

The non GUE part is more due to quick release/adjustability. You could, however, very easily buy the elite ii and when you decide to do GUE training get just a roll of nylon webbing and reuse all the needed hardware from the elite ii.

2 extra chest d-rings, right hip d-ring, two quick releases, shoulder epaulets *the pads are frowned upon but I don't think expressly forbidden*, chest strap, and waist side plates. Whew. Unfortunately because of the quick releases and d-rings associated with them you can't make it dir compatible. This for reference is a direct knock-off of the Dive Rite Transplate.

xDeep and Dive Rite both have skeletonized ss backplates that may work as well.

You can easily ditch the 2 extra chest d-rights, right hip d-ring, shoulder epaulets, shoulder pads and chest strap as desired. I personally run mine without the extra chest d rings, right hip d-ring, and chest strap. Still doesn't make it GUE, but you can get rid of some of the extra fluff if you like.
29722704827_e58a365323_b.jpg

@saxman242 for GUE/NAUI/UTD etc. training you have to have their requisite number of d-rings on a one-piece harness.

Once you go through the effort of stripping all the stuff off, why bother spending the extra $100 for that harness in the first place?

@saxman242 for GUE/NAUI/UTD etc. training you have to have their requisite number of d-rings on a one-piece harness.

Once you go through the effort of stripping all the stuff off, why bother spending the extra $100 for that harness in the first place?

In my personal case, I got a great price on the hollis stuff so the price difference between it and a regular one piece harness really wasn't much. I figured this way I could try out all sorts of configurations and should I decide to go one piece in the future the only thing I'd need to buy is some webbing. I also tend to do my diving either in California, where I end up wearing at least a 7mm suit or on vacation where I usually wear a rash guard so it allows me to easily adjust without taking things apart.

Back
Top Bottom