Buying Kit in Japan (!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not seen blue or other color Jetfins in a long long time.

I tried to get some a few years back but was unsuccessful, and watch the online auction sites (auction.yahoo.co.jp) for sales there.

As you probably know, all authorized Scubapro dealers are forbidden to ship out of their territories.

Best of luck,

Just did a bit of a surf and what this tells you is that Jet Fins are only available in black (ブラック ) even in Japan :eyebrow:

Arigato gozaimasu Jonathan and Mar Scuba... I'll email Toyo and see what he says...

If no such luck then I'll start trawling thru the auctions page at Yahoo japan. [edit: AAArrrrggghhh Yahoo Japan is (of course) in Japanese and altavista won't translate it!!!]

(Didn't know about the restriction to ship outside their territories :eek: is this a common practice for all equipment manufacturers?)

If all fails, has anyone got the Jet Thrust fins? apparently they're made of rubber just like the original jetfins.... This could be an alternative for me. Don't get me wrong, the original jetfins are fantastic, but the colour is just soooo boring. I tried spray-painting it but of course the paint chipped off after a few dives and I get crumbly paint chips at the bottom of my dive bag - so annoying. Sorry for the rant... It's over now :)

diverdanpt,

You may want to take a look at this thread. There is some good info about buying scuba gear in Japan at some pretty good prices and the pro's and con's of ordering online and having shipped to Japan.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t42932.html

Rickg

I just bought a heap of great dive rite gear from www.reefencounters.org in Okinawa. Their prices were the same as anything I've been able to find elsewhere for the same equipment (i.e. DR express etc) with full manufactures waranties and free shipping within Japan. I organised everything from the internet and the gear was on my doorstep two days after I paid. The entire transaction was done in English.

Hi all!

Just an FYI: I just made my first online scuba purchase (in fact, my first gear purchase so far!) from here in Japan. I ordered a reg and octo from Scubastore (DiveInn). Placed the order on Friday, got the stuff on Tuesday(!), paid no import duty fees, paid 5% consumption tax. The total purchase price was just under US $400, and I paid 2500 yen tax (2,000 for tax, 500 for "tax handling fee".... :p ) when the shipment arrived. It was a quick and easy purchase. In fact, a little too quick and easy... point, click, broke!!! :wink:

Quite interested in hearing other Japan diver shopping experiences, online or local! I imagine, despite the ease and affordability of buying my regs, there is plenty of gear I'll probably be seeking out locally.

Take care, all!

Joel

From what I've seen they seem pretty good.

A bit of an unrelated question but; how, when and where do you pay consumption tax and import duties on things you have sent to Japan?

Morty

Back
Top Bottom