Buying Old Rental Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerosynth

Contributor
Reaction score
Midwest/Central U.S. is where I hang my hat. Where
# of dives
25 - 49
The owner of the scuba shop near my house has 5 old rental setups for sale. He's asking $550 each, and they include the BC, gauge console (full computer, pressure gauge, and compass), regulator, and octo. He will also be doing service and inspection on all the components prior to sale.

I just wanted to get some feedback. I haven't seen any of the units yet, but he did warn me that the BCs are a bit dingy (I expect that from rental gear). But aside from appearance, are there any other *special* concerns I need to be aware of if I consider this purchase? And, any thoughts on that price?

Input appreciated! :)

My first BC, I bought off rental and training. It was actually the BC that I used in my class, and had been used for about a year before that. I used it for three years, sold it back to the dive shop for what I paid for it and put that towards a new one. My regulator setup had come from my grandfather and also the time when they felt that they didn't need to service anything till there was a problem. I had it serviced before I used it, and then I used it for about three years, and got a new one. I still use the old one as a primary on a backup bottle to this day.

I would just make sure that everything gets serviced. Make sure the BC inflates(both power and manual), holds air, deflates, and that all the dumps work. Make sure all the weight pockets are there and in good working order. I would also ask the shop if they will give you any kind of warranty, if they are confident in their service, and the equipment is still in decent shape there is no reason they shouldn't at least give you some kind of warranty.

If he's your main shop have a look and if you like it make everyone happy.
I think the bc is more important, for fit, type, and eventual diving style.
Perhaps the reg, and a less used preferable bc.
There are shops here quite happy to take equipment out of service any time for the right price.

To me it would depend on the item. For example, around here people usually start out with a wetsuit and then switch to a drysuit as soon as they can afford it. In that kind of situation, you may as well get the cheapest functional product that you can and by buying from the LDS at least you know it fits, (extremely important in a wetsuit).

Then there are the products that you can afford to do right but that you might not have a clue about as a newbie. Fins for example. Do you like splits or paddles? What type? Even very experienced divers have very different opinions about this. This is another place where I would get the cheapest fins you can find and then ask everyone with about the same size feet if you can try out their fins. Eventually, you'll develop your own preference and buy the right fins for the right reasons.

The one place I can't really see skimping however is on the regulator. Buy a good regulator, like a ScubaPro Mk17/G250V, and keep it for the rest of your life. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg, but you don't really want to be diving to 100' with an old Sherwood Brut either.

I can't give my opinion without knowing what models/brands the products are. Some just last better than others. He's going to tell you the regs are in GREAT shape inside even if they're just serviceable. He wants to sell them and he knows you won't be doing any extreme diving with them. I agree...get a good reg above all else. Anything relating to air delivery should be seen as life saving equipment, IMO.

Too high, I just sold a similar setup for $275.

Bare in mind, Oceanic right now is offering a very nice BC, Regulators (first stage, second stage, octopus and computer/console) For $800.

With that comes the free lifetime parts for the regulators. That's a much better deal for brand new stuff.

*Edit
And i'll ship directly to you if you can't can't find an Oceanic Dealer offering that package.

Superlyte27, I thought it was a little pricey too based on posts I've read here and elsewhere. However... that's only his asking price and I haven't seen the equipment yet. I thought about trying to get him to come off it a little, give me half off a specialty class, or something in negotiation.

My only issue with investing in NEW equipment right now is that this will be my first full rig... I want to start out with something cheap/used, so I will have a basis for deciding what I want/don't want, like/dislike, etc. I figure after a few months or a year on a used setup, I'll be able to make a better judgement about where I want to go with new equipment. Know what I mean?

Superlyte27, I thought it was a little pricey too based on posts I've read here and elsewhere. However... that's only his asking price and I haven't seen the equipment yet. I thought about trying to get him to come off it a little, give me half off a specialty class, or something in negotiation.

My only issue with investing in NEW equipment right now is that this will be my first full rig... I want to start out with something cheap/used, so I will have a basis for deciding what I want/don't want, like/dislike, etc. I figure after a few months or a year on a used setup, I'll be able to make a better judgement about where I want to go with new equipment. Know what I mean?

I understand whatcha mean. But, if you can't get a Weight Integrated B/C, An Air Computer/Console and a set of regulators for less than $400 you are getting really screwed. And the stuff should look great.

I have a Mares B/C right now, weight integrated, looks brand new for like $140.

*Brand really matters too. Don't buy anything that isn't currently in production like Dacor. It's next to impossible to get parts for makers who are out of business.

I think it's a little pricy, but not at all unreasonable depending on the exact gear and condition. If you like the gear, go for it - having it all professionally serviced and having the shop stand behind it is worth a lot.

Back
Top Bottom