Buying only first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about putting together a doubles setup, and would like to add another Atomic first stage. I already have two Atomic second stages, so I only need the first stage.
Sure, I can buy a whole set (first and second) and try to sell off the second stage, but I would like to find out whether if it is possible at all to just buy a first stage.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

It is possible to buy just the first stage.

Hallmac

I found most stores sell the set and it was very expensive to buy one part.

You could always use the extra 2nd stage as a back up incase something happens in the future or you get the chance to purchase a second hand first stage on eBay for using on a stage bottle?

Considering the extremely high price that they sell just the second stage for and the fact that most people buy an additional second stage for an octopus, you may be able to work something out with your dealer. Ask them if you could buy just the first stage out of a set and then they can keep the second stage to sell as an octo. Ask them if you can pay the price for a longer hose to make it an octo, and then ask if they would split the difference in price with you between the price of just a first stage and the price of the whole set minus the price of the octo. Tell the dealer that they can keep the box, warranty registration card and manual. Just get the serial number and you can register your warranty online (enter just he first stage serial not the second).

If the price for just a first stage is about the same as just a second stage, then both you and the dealer stand to save/make money on this deal, since they can then sell the second stage as an octo.....

of course I have no idea if any dealers in your area will go for this, it does seem a bit complicated :)

~Jess

Thanks for the information, people.

I'll see if I can arrange something like what JessH said.
It looks like a longshot, but no harm in trying..

Some regulator manufacturers actually won't sell them that way. That's why some shops give you grief over it. Zeagle will sell just a first stage but Sherwoog, Genesis and Cressi won't. I don't know about some of the others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom