buying the Olympus C-5050Zoom and PT-015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire once bubbled...

The 5050 holds 3 different type of cards, XD, SM and CF.

The camera can also use a micro drive (CF slot) which several photographers are using with good results. There was some skepticism about using a “hard drive” in the camera under water in the beginning …. But I think that all gone now….they are typically 1 gig in storage

With the 5050 you will run out of battery power before filling the cards.....right now I have a 256 xD and a couple of 512 CF's (used more for storage)

As far as other advantages go .... I'm pretty sure there was recently a thread on this comparison ...... If I (or anyone else) can find it give it a look ....lots of info. Try a search also on the general subject your speaking of and I'm sure you'll get a ton of info..

Thanks to all for the feedback regarding the O 5050, and the site that Dominiek posted is a great site.

I am trying to work into a digi camera and housing soon, so all the feedback is very helpful and time efficient.

safe diving:wink:

Let me just reassure anyone out there who is thinking of, or just has , bought an Olympus and PT housing and now thinks they need a strobe.

Sure of course it will help tremendously but it is not an essential piece of kit ! And without strobes the camera will never get in your way and can fit in nice little nooks and crannies to get unusual shrimp photos (be careful of the coral).

I've been diving for 3 years now with an Olympus 3040Z and PT007 (supposedly rated to 30M but has - unwittingly - been to 45M) ! I beleive I have some stunning photos in my collection that now adorn the walls at home (wherever my wife permits - it's really cheap to print 11 x 8 here around US$1 each).

My best advice is to check your bouyancy skills first then get 128mb cards and change both batteries and cards in between dives - use up all the card space on every dive ! Lighting has never been a major problem for me (I dive in Asia and weather is usually great) - the attached photo was taken early evening and handlit by dive light as soon as they started mating (can't wait to try my new light cannon), sure it could be better and I'm sure Adobe could do a job on it but....I still love it ! (Although maybe this resolution doesn't do it justice).

Don't worry - just snap away and you will soon find what works for you - and no film to buy so it costs virtually nothing ! Just watch where you are putting your fins / hands - don't damage the reef !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom