Buying Used BCDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syamimramli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm planning to acquire a good condition BCDs. Axiom (without) the i3 system for a price of $220. Cosmetically, the BCD looks brand new since it was only used for less than a dozen dive. The weight pouch haven't been upgraded to the new one since the recall, I may have to sourced out the pouches because the BCD wasn't bought locally or go to the dive shop and get it replaced there. I've attached some pictures of the BCD here.

The thing is, may I know what should I check before buying the BCD?I know that I should do these;
- bladder test (manual inflate and try to deflate it)
- check if the inflator valve is working
- check if the dump valve is working

But besides all these, do you gurus know any other tips? Mind to share.

Thanks!

12804860_10153943794039019_9056313161561305632_n.jpg 12790839_10153943794144019_21112122693636068_n.jpg 1451407_10153943794049019_1470591427849730881_n.jpg 12798908_10153943794114019_5337286748694066580_n.jpg

- bladder test (manual inflate and try to deflate it)
I would want to know if it holds gas over an extended period of time - i.e. inflate it and see if it remains inflated over night, or over the course of a day.

Soak it and look for leaks if you can also. It looks pretty new but sometimes there's pinpoint leaks if the bladder was allowed to dry without proper rinsing and salt crystals formed and ground a hole in it in high stress areas.

After 12 dives not so likely though.

Non-I3 is a bonus IMO. Trust Aqualung to take a simple reliable mechanism and hopelessly over complicate it with a system of valves, rods and o-rings so someone can push a lever instead. And make said system only serviceable at authorized dealers using proprietary parts.

You need to connect to a tank to test the inflator. If the inflator has a crack or bad seat, then it may continue to inflate this is often only noticed with the LP hose connected and used.

Inflate until the OPV open, they should 'burp' open, dump, close, they should not stick open. Check manual dump all valves smooth open and close then they seal until over pressured. After OPV test let it sit preferably over night - is it still fully inflated?

If the inflator has a problem you can get a generic one 45-degree Oral Power Inflator | Dive Gear Express®.

I think the OPVs are proprietary, so may be expensive if need to be serviced/replaced.

From the images it doesn't seem to have a 'pull dump' or OPV on the inflator 'elbow' - did you expect or want that 'feature'?

See if you can take it for a quick dip to see how it fits when trimmed out. You can also check for leaks and a properly functioning inflator mechanism at the same time.

Thank you all for the reply! I really appreciate the response and taken into account all of you guys comments.

I've done everything to check the BCD and it seems that it is functioning well. Except for connecting it to the tank which I'll try out soon because I'll be servicing it before diving with it.

However the SureLock weight pouch handle is broken. I've contacted AquaLung and they're happy to replace it for me.

Any suggestion on how can I preserved the colour on the BCD? Has anyone tried using the Scotchgard Fabric Protector from 3M? Is it safe to use?

Amazon.com: Scotchgard Fabric and Upholstery Protector, 10-Ounce, 2-Pack: Home Improvement

According to wikipedia, their pre-2000 formula has been banned by the Geneva Convention and the current stuff is OK because it's toxic for only a couple of months. You decide what is "safe to use", I would hesitate to put any of it anywhere near my skin or a reef. Even though the amounts would be "trace" at most... That aside, stain repellents are designed to make an accidental coffee spill easier to clean off off your sofa. I expect they'll do next to nothing against UV exposure and immersion in salt water.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has been trying to get the active ingredient in Scotchguard out of Lake Calhoun for years.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has been trying to get the active ingredient in Scotchguard out of Lake Calhoun for years.

Then I'm sure it's a no to Scotchgard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom