Buying used equipment - Bad idea or Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerJeni

Scuba Baby
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's in my nature to bargin shop, but I was thinking...is it safe or a good idea to buy used scuba equipment?

Have you ever bought used equipment? What do you think about buying something used?

Everything used except some masks, some fins and tailored suits and air.

I have been diving for a long time and I have bought a lot of both new and used equipment.

1. I always will buy a used tank if it can be had for a good price and I can look inside first.
2. I will buy a used regulator if I can try it out first and it is one that I can get parts for.
3. I will usually not buy a used wetsuit or drysuit. I can't tell by looking at one how much life is left in the material of which it is made.
4. Computers, cameras and anything that contains a battery is better bought new.
5. BC's can be bought used if thouroughly checked and very well priced.
6. You should never buy anything that you really don't need but you really need to have your own set of gear.
7. You never have enough tanks or regulators.

My current reg set was bought used...nine years ago.

I've also bought used tanks, my back-up fins, and a skin.

Just be careful and do your research.

Check out Jeni!! Racking up the knowledge in a hurry. :D

I have bought (and sold) a lot of gear!! Personally, I recommend you not bargain hunt too much for your regulator. If you wanted a second set for some reason, then fine. But the one you'll use a lot, spring for a high end regulator and if you can afford it, one that is new.

I'll buy tanks as long as they aren't more than a year out of vis and still in hydro. If out of hydro, must be less than a year and be steel and cheap.

I've bought my wings used but my first BCD was new. My drysuit was new but I'd buy a used one if I new the seller or could dive it. Not all leaks are visible to the naked eye.

I've never owned a new computer. My cobra, Aladin Air Z and Aeris were all bought used. As long as you can test it out and connect it to a tank to ensure it's registering pressures properly, probably not a big deal. Just make sure it has user replaceable batteries.

All the nick-nack stuff you can buy used. Lights, reels, hoods, etc.

I have bought used gear and been perfectly satisfied with it. BUT I have also traded perfectly good gear for gear that is found to be faulty or broken. So, buyer beware.

Accessories, hoods, gloves, weights, fins, bags, tanks .... lots of things to sell and trade.

I believe in buying new masks, regulators, BC, and wetsuits.

I sold a scooter for half of what I bought it for and it was practically new. The guy got a deal because I wanted it to go. So there are good deals to be had.

I buy used tanks all the time. If they are out of Hydro, I only buy them if the seller drops the price of the hydro off it first and agrees to refund my money if it fails.

I have been diving for a long time and I have bought a lot of both new and used equipment.

1. I always will buy a used tank if it can be had for a good price and I can look inside first.
2. I will buy a used regulator if I can try it out first and it is one that I can get parts for.
3. I will usually not buy a used wetsuit or drysuit. I can't tell by looking at one how much life is left in the material of which it is made.
4. Computers, cameras and anything that contains a battery is better bought new.
5. BC's can be bought used if thouroughly checked and very well priced.
6. You should never buy anything that you really don't need but you really need to have your own set of gear.
7. You never have enough tanks or regulators.

+1 what he said.
Well written advise.

Other than personal gear I never bought anything new, I use SP regs and a Conshelf that are older than many members here and still work really well. They were from the pre plastic era so they don't seem to distort with time.

I buy used tanks all the time. If they are out of Hydro, I only buy them if the seller drops the price of the hydro off it first and agrees to refund my money if it fails.

Both of my tanks (AL 80's) were obtained used. One cost me $20 (had air in it)and the other cost me $30 (was empty but looked great outside). They both needed hydro and vis, but I figured that for what I paid, I could sell them for scrap aluminum if they failed their inspection. They both passed with flying colors. The guy who inspected it at my LDS actually told me that the tank without air in it was the cleanest, and best looking tank he had ever inspected, to include new tanks... Deals such as this can be found on craigslist if you are patient and persistent.

Back
Top Bottom