BVI liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voyager77

Registered
Reaction score
Was looking at a trip in Sept, any other liveaboards that operate in the BVI at that time? Looks like Cuan Law is in maint that month.

Thx!

Out of interest, why the BVI in particular, and why a live-aboard? I'm not contesting the choices, just curious.

What I've read about the Cuan Law in past threads suggests it's got some non-diving things to do; not necessarily the 'eat, sleep, 25-27 dives in 7 days flat' scenario I associate with Caribbean live-aboards. And the BVIs have beautiful beaches and some topside scenery, IIRC? In other words, unlike Little Cayman and Belize's Lighthouse Atoll region, it's not so much 'all about the diving.'

So your post has me curious as to how you came by these 2 goals. The answer might help shed light on whether you'd be better served by a land-based BVI trip, or a live-aboard elsewhere.

Richard.

Richard,
I done a lot of the islands throughout the Carribean, haven't been to the BVI so was looking for something new. I like liveaboards as I find them relaxing and simple logistically. Diving, beer, and a good book is the perfect vacation for me. Also as I usually go alone, i find them considerably cheaper than land based as I'm willing to share a cabin (hey, I spent a year in a tent in Afghanistan with 7 guys, I can handle a roomate for a week!)
Regards

Paul

If you can't find a liveaboard in the BVIs, you might consider the Caribbean Explorer which cruises the same region of the Caribbean visiting St. Martin, St. Kitts, and Saba (unless you have already dived that area?) The diving is very good, especially around Saba IMO, and the boat offers optional land excursions on the islands.

Also, keep in mind that the Aggressor Fleet is currently offering a 33% off sale to a wide variety of destinations.

But I am sure that the reason the Cuan Law is doing maintenance in September is because that is slow season and the peak month for storms in the Caribbean, especially the central Caribbean. So if you can change your travel dates you might consider the Cuan Law during a different month. Good luck!

Cuan Law is the only "real" liveaboard in the BVI's. Cuan Law also only does 3 dives/day. And it's almost all tender diving, they moor off a lot of the divesites since that much boat is hard to maneuver - I saw it once off Tortola - dwarfed our 45' dive boat. it's not the length but the width.

This is kind of a long shot but other big cats in the area do full-boat charter as dive charters - they may have a small compressor and dive gear on board. Check with Moorings on Tortola, they probably either book them or know who they are. BVI Yacht Charter

Possibly the chartering party is willing to sell you a bunk if they have extra. A couple years ago a couple offered that here - they booked the boat and opened it to SB members to share/bring everyone's cost down.

Several of the shops offer rendezvous diving - they meet you at the site with tanks etc. Supposed to cost the same, IDK the logistics/frequency. Several of the DiveBVI locations also have fill stations/tank rentals right on the dock - I'm sure other shops do also.

I actually think a fun part of that trip would be the non-dive outings. We stayed on Virgin Gorda but one day rented a boat to take us to all 3 main islands plus several of the smaller ones. Did a litle shopping and it turned into a beach bar tour - at several you can swim in. Final count was 8-9 with a 2 drink minimum...The Baths off Virgin Gorda is a famous snorkel and the Willy T a floating bar/grill near Norman Island.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom