By request....my wax in the sink story.....retold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I have gotten a couple of emails asking about the time I had a little wax incident in my old farm house. I was living out in the country in a 100+ year old farm house taking care of my ailing dad and the house got musty from time to time. Anyway, here is how I tried to resolve the problem. (Surprised you guys remembered this. BTW....dad has since passed and step mom moved to the "big town" and I have my own ...new....not musty smelling house. No wax allowed in it.
============================================================================
I just do not believe last night.

I came home and went over to dad's to check up on him and his wife....still breathing (they are really old and not in the best of shape).

Then, I came home and thought the house smelled a little musty. No big surprisethere. The place is a 100 + year old farm house.

So, for that reason, I thought a couple weeks ago, I would get me some scented wax and melt it in one of those poopoo melters and make the house smell better.Well, it just didnt work. I discovered you can't put WAX in a POOPOO melter and get----> good smell.

I thought and wondered why it wasn't working....then it hit me. The melter was just not HOT enough. So I put the wax on the kitchen
gas stove in a little metal container and put the burner on low. Worked like a champ and smelled soooooooo good.

So tonight when I get home I think...let's do it again. So I get the metal container that has the wax from the other day. Fire up the kitchen
stove on low and put the container over the fire. I think, this is gonna be good and head to the computer.....thinking....I will be back shortly to check on this stuff.

Well....I forgot.

When I finally remember the melting wax on the
kitchen stove I dash into the kitchen and the smoke was so thick I can barely see...crap....but no fire.

I grab the metal container with the bubbling wax and ....I don't know why....butI think, I will pour this wax into a plastic container so it is away from the hot metal and it will quit smoking.

Just as I start to pour the wax into the plastic container that I had brilliantly put in the kitchen
sink.....I think.....Is this mess too hot for this plastic container? I find out in the next second because as the hot wax hits the plastic container it folds like meg etting hit in the gut by Sonny Liston. It totally melts down and all the hot wax is headed down the sinkdrain.....which promply clogs full of hot wax!!! Crap !!!

Now I have a
sink with about 1/8th inch of wax all over it and a clogged sink drain. So I take the drain apart and start to gouge out the wax with a screwdriver. Then the thought hits me.....use the hot air hair dryer and melt the wax. Cool idea huh??? Crap no !!

A little bit of water flys back out of the trap and shorts out the hair dryer and I do the ... getting electricuted ....dance in the bathroom and blow the circuit.

I head back to the
kitchen....with my hair up by the way....and wash out the trap. Crap!!! I remember I am HOLDING the dang trap and all that hot water from the faucet is going down the drain....no trap....and on to my feet. Crap ...crap...double crap !!!

I clean up the water and then put some water in the microwave and heat it up. I then pour that into the trap and very carefully swish it around melting the wax. At least this is working. But I have that other side sink
totally covered in wax and that drain plugged too.

I work for about an hour scrapping wax then the idea hit me. Put the trap back on.... heat up some water in a container...dunk the metal parts in the hotwater...and pour the hot water into the sink
and rub with rough cloth.

So I get an empty coffee can because I don't want to screw up any of my goodpots...and they are all good pots. I put water in it and put it on the stove. Ok...the emblem. I thought it was painted on the coffee can. Oh not true ......it is a very very thin plastic coating. I look up and the dang emblem which happens to be very thin and tightly placed over the coffee can has caught firea nd is melting all over my stove. TRIPLE CRAP.....

I go to move the coffee can with a dish towel and that dang thing catchs fire!!! I am now doing the
kitchen....my dish towel is on fire dance. QUADRUPLE CRAP !!!!

Long story short. I now have about 90% of the wax up. The rest is just gonna have to wear off on its own.

And the house still smells mushty......crap.

========================================================================
Oh yea....when my step mom moved to the big city, she sold her house and that old farm house too. The new owners came in with a bull dozer and it is no more. Farewell old house. Had some waxing good times in you.

So next time, cut an onion in half and place it/some in a musty area of your house. Cut onions absorb odours as well as toxins. They become quite toxic themselves after even a day of being cut, so discard any leftover cut onions after a day or two. :)

They sell spray deodorizers. :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom