C-5050 Panorama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texass

Reaction score
I started to actually read the manual today. After a month or so of the push & pray technique, I decided to see what else I might be missing.

Anyway, I got to the Panorama page and decided that sounds cool. Problem is that I can't seem to highlight the option. I see it but the camera just scrolls on past it.

I've tried every mode (except maybe the right one) trying to figure it out. OK, but I did spend almost 10 minutes playing with the buttons and re-reading the pages in the manual.

What am I missing?

Are you using Olympus brand flash cards? Panarama mode does not work with other brands.
Another thing to check is if you have enough memory: try a lower resolution.

What kind of memory card are you using? I notice on page 116, it mentions that panorama is shot with Olympys Camedia brand cards....xD-Picture and SmartMedia Card. No mention of the CF card. So I tried it. With the xD card, panorama works just fine. With the CF card, it's not available. So..there ya go!

I remember with my C-4040, you could only do panorama with Olympus brand cards, I see that hasn't changed.

I started with an Oly card, then the Fry's guy saved me $20 with the Fuji brand. Poor brain forgot and I got stuck on the "xd" instead of the Oly.

Oh well, 15 days to decide if panorama is worth exchanging it.

I wonder what else might be different.

You can only shoot pano with Olympus brand card. Also it'll only work in 'P' mode and can't be used in RAW mode (only TIFF and JPEG).
There's nothing magical about Oly branded cards - they have a few bytes of data in the header info of their cards that enables the panorama mode. It's just their way of protecting their market share of cards.
BTW you can shoot a pano sequence on the xD card and then copy it across to your CF card and the pano info will still be preserved when you use Camedia to stitch it together. It's an easy way of shooting panoramas in the field with limited xD space.

ReyeR:
...BTW you can shoot a pano sequence on the xD card and then copy it across to your CF card and the pano info will still be preserved when you use Camedia to stitch it together. It's an easy way of shooting panoramas in the field with limited xD space.

That's great to know! I'll add it to the Tips & Techniques forum.

Back
Top Bottom