c-dives from cancun/playa del carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi folks! My husband and I just took classrm & pool training for OW and would like recommendations on where to do our C-dives.

We're headed off to the Yucatan with stops in Cancun & Playa del Carmen on 11/15-16 and 11/25-28.

Rocketgirl!

You have come to the right place. Now, I do not have a lot of experience with Cancun, but there is an island across the channel that I have been to many times: Cozumel

It is a scuba diver's paradise and only a short ferry ride from Cancun/Playa del Carmen. There are many good dive shops there that can help you and here is one:

http://islandream.com/divehous.htm

I hope this helps, but if not, check in again: several folks who post here have spent more time in Cancun than I have.

Joewr

Rocketgirl,
Welcome from NJ and congrats on finishing the pool work.
I'll second Joewr"s comments : I don't know much about Cancun, but Cozumel is real close, and it is great.
Also a big thumbs up to "Dive House". I dove with them in Aug., and they are very good-very professional.
Best of luck with your trip,
MikeD

Go a liittle further south, Akumal Dive Shop. My wife thought it was heaven, I know better. But it was great.

adios don O

Thanks so much for the feedback! We are definitely going to take your advice and look around...

Just one more thing! I've noticed the posts point to either Coz or further south (Akumal) towards some of the "eco-parks". I also heard about some of the high currents and drift diving in Coz; would it be "easier" to do C-dives down south (towards Playa)? I noticed the prices for referrals were a bit higher in the area, or so I thought...

My hubby and I definitely still want to see the sites in Coz, but some people mentioned concerns about adding additional factors that might make the C-dives "harder" to do. Any thoughts?

Rocketgirl,
While the currents in Coz may contribute to the difficulty level of some aspects of the C-dives, I recall, from my last trip to Coz, seeing people doing "check out dives" - including skills- in areas where the current was not a factor.
I also spoke with people who were finishing their certifications, and they indicated that the DMs/ Instructors went to great lengths to be sure that the current was not a factor, but rather that the "student" was able to enjoy the extra fun of drift diving.
If you have a dive shop in mind, e-mail them with your questions, concerns, etc. and see what they can offer.
Let us know what happens,
and good luck, wherever you decide to go.
Miked

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom