C02 building up while racing underwater to figure out working SAC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been to a cardiologist, I hope I don't have to go to see one :)!

About the fins I have been using them for some time and never noticed anything particularly problematic. Maybe it's the way I kick...

Well, the time to see one is before you have an event, not after. According to you, something is "wrong" and unless that was a poor choice of words on your part, better listen to the doc (tsandm).

Anyways, some of this is kind of funny to me. I am in fact very fit and yet if I were to jump on my bike and peddle furiously or jump in the pool and swim at maximum speed, I assure you it would not be terribly long before I too would think something was wrong. Nobody can sustain maximum output, which is anaerobic. You will have to slow down into the aerobic zone. Your buddy can go longer or faster because he has a higher threshold at that shift point that you for possibly several reasons, he could be more fit, his kick or equipment might lend to greater efficiency or there could be something wrong with you.

N

Well, the time to see one is before you have an event, not after. According to you, something is "wrong" and unless that was a poor choice of words on your part, better listen to the doc (tsandm).

I guess the part where I mentioned that I am going to see a PA has been overlooked...:wink:

.....he could be more fit, his kick or equipment might lend to greater efficiency or there could be something wrong with you.

This is worth considering.....if the buddy had some flimsy split fins, and Soakedlontra had Jet fins or some other solid and fairly stiff fin, then she would be working MUCH harder in trying to "push the tire" in the underwater treadmill deal they were doing. If I tried that with my big DiveR freedive fins, it would be miserable !!! Pushing some flimsy split fins for this tire treadmil, would be easy, would not cause much breathing rate, and it WOULD BE THE FIRST GOOD USE OF SPLIT FINS I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!!!!!!!! :)

This is worth considering.....if the buddy had some flimsy split fins, and Soakedlontra had Jet fins or some other solid and fairly stiff fin, then she would be working MUCH harder in trying to "push the tire" in the underwater treadmill deal they were doing. If I tried that with my big DiveR freedive fins, it would be miserable !!! Pushing some flimsy split fins for this tire treadmil, would be easy, would not cause much breathing rate, and it WOULD BE THE FIRST GOOD USE OF SPLIT FINS I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!!!!!!!! :)

We both use Force Fins but different models. They are rather different fins from all the others. I don't think the fins themselves have something to do with what we are talking about. With or without them or with or without the regulator when I do a strenuous workout I feel like I cannot get enough air, so it seems anyway.

I am still curious to try Sam's regulator, though. It's a Zeagle with a valve and a button that regulate the flow of air, mine doesn't have them.

If you think it is an issue with the regualtors, then switch them.. do the exercise side by side and use eachother's regs....

If you think it is an issue with the regualtors, then switch them.. do the exercise side by side and use eachother's regs....

Well...I have just come back from the doctor assistant. The ECG and the breathing tests were normal. However, she is very concerned about my family health history (my mother had her first heart attack at 56, then 3 years later a second one hit her and she never recovered from it; my brother had his first heart attack when he was 40, then he had other complications that I don't even remember, anyway he is still alive with two bypasses, I think). So the next step is to do a Cardiac Nuclear Stress Test. In the meantime I cannot dive, swim or do any strenuous physical exercise, I have to take baby aspirin every day and another drug in case I fell heaviness in my sternum. Amen!:depressed:

Wow -- I didn't know that family history. I'd be ordering the stress test, too!

I'm 57 and not in great shape and have had this happen twice in the last year. Once while dragging an anchor chain for a dock. I thought I might have to bail and go up but after a few minutes of rest my breathing came under control. It just seemed I was breathing as hard as I could and still needed more air. Second time was a week or so ago trying to keep up with a commercial fish diver. Same breathing problem, felt like I just wasn't getting enough air and almost bailed to the surface, which is something I've never done, and then thought that I needed to try something else, so I exhaled completely, clear out until my lungs were empty. Felt better when I took a breath and did it once more and was back to normal, that fast. I believe in my case it is the result of too shallow and fast and I'm getting too much CO2 back from my trachea clear through the inside of my regulator. Might be worth a try if it happens again to do a deliberate complete exhale before taking another breath.

You know the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that my PA is exaggerating because she wants to cover her ass (excuse my language but I am infuriated). I have just discover that the ST. Joseph Hospital in Bellingham charges between $4000 and 5000 for a Myo Cardio Perusion Scan and I almost had a heart attack! With that amount of money I can fly to Italy, do the test there and have a nice vacation! The most ridiculous think is that the clerk at the financial office could not tell me whether the hospital had a contract with my insurance company or not and that I had to call the insurance company.:shakehead:

I am going to Mexico next month it may be cheaper to have the test done over there like it is for dental work!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom