C5050 Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaoren

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a C5050 and was using it until now with the original batteries it was delivered with. Since I wasn't doing UW Photography, I didn't really care about battery life.
Now I bought a PT-015 and intend to start UW Photography so I was looking to extend the battery life soehow. I noticed that some people recommend using the 2250 or 2300 mAh Ni-Mh batteries instead of the originals.
No way of damaging the camera with them? and any recommendations for where to get them from? Preferably in Canada?
I appreciate all suggestions and feedback.

The higher Mah rating means you'll be able to take more pictures/run the camera for longer periods of time. MY 5050 works just fine with the 2100mah batteries.
I get batteries and chargers from http://thomasdistributing.com.
(sorry, they are not located in Canada.)
good luck,
Mike

miked:
The higher Mah rating means you'll be able to take more pictures/run the camera for longer periods of time. MY 5050 works just fine with the 2100mah batteries.
I get batteries and chargers from http://thomasdistributing.com.
(sorry, they are not located in Canada.)
good luck,
Mike
Thanks for the reply.
Are you using the original Olympus charger or did you get a new one with the batteries?
I've seen now even 2400mAh batteries. would the camera be able to work even longer with these?

The original olympus charger, IMO,while okay, is too slow, especally if you need a new set of batteries for the next days' dives. (Actually 2 sets,if you have an external strobe, or 4 sets,if you are doing 4 dives per day.)
I got 2 chargers from the same site I mentioned in my earlier post.In fact, thought not a ringing endorsement, one of them went "belly up" today, and I had to run to Best Buys to get a replacement- a Maha charger.( iIm hopefully off to Grand cayman Saturday morning)
take care,
Mike

jepuskar:
Yes, I highly recommend this website...

www.ripvan100.com

They sell the 2300mah batteries and they last a long arse time...I speak from experience. Also, don't forget to get the charger.

He makes the smallest charger in the industry. The tines fold, so its perfect for travel, and it has a chip controlling the charge so your batts won't over-heat. Don't be fooled, you change a 2300 in 30 minutes, you're over heating it and you will not get 1000+ cycles out of it. Faster is not always better.

The guy rocks. Good prices, fast, cheap delivery.

K

You can also get NiMHs at most department and electronic stores, Walmart, Kmart, Circuit City, Besy Buys....about anywhere. Do pay attention to the mah rating on them, the higher the better. I have actually seen some billed as "Mega capacity" that were only 1800 mah but twice as expensive as some 2200 mah on the same shelf. The going rate for 2200's are about $10-12 USD.

Thank you very much for all the replies.
I'll run out and get me couple sets of the 2300 or 2400mAh batteries and a charger.
Anyone any especially good experience with a specific brand of batteries? I'm interested in ones that are less affected by the cold because of the water temp. in Canada. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom