C53

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there not a lot of marine life at this wreck? The video above doesn't have a lot of critters. I realize that the amount of life can change, but sounds like, generally, there is not a lot of life at the C53?

I dove one of the wrecks off Cancun (C55 or C58, the one that's more disintegrated), and there was a ton of life on it. Several groups of Eagle rays in transit, lionfish, tons of grunts, etc etc.

My main reason for diving is critters, but I also like wrecks, so I am hopeful the C53 provides both (the one I did by Cancun was not much of a wreck at all, as it was not even recognizable as a boat, but the critters were top notch)

Is there not a lot of marine life at this wreck? The video above doesn't have a lot of critters. I realize that the amount of life can change, but sounds like, generally, there is not a lot of life at the C53?

I dove one of the wrecks off Cancun (C55 or C58, the one that's more disintegrated), and there was a ton of life on it. Several groups of Eagle rays in transit, lionfish, tons of grunts, etc etc.

My main reason for diving is critters, but I also like wrecks, so I am hopeful the C53 provides both (the one I did by Cancun was not much of a wreck at all, as it was not even recognizable as a boat, but the critters were top notch)

There wasn't much life there, nothing that stood out as I remember. It's cool from the penetration perspective, you can swim a long way thru, I only went because the guy knew the wreck very well.

I forgot about the other wreck, not sure what it was called or the area, it was down sort of by where they had the bad ferry boats anchored, in my log I just called it cruise ship pier. Pretty shallow, 40', there were other things, maybe concrete blocks that had a lot of growth on them - scattered over a pretty good area. We did a DSD dive there during DM training - there were lots of life there, many eels, just many things to see.

But - I don't see this place as somewhere a dive op would take you. Again, we took a DSD student there - it was cool, been there done that kinda thing.

Personally, I think there's way more life on any of the shallow dives with the current running over the grass beds and small formations - some of the photographers, if allowed, would anchor in and stay within 30' the whole dive.

Just did the C53 2 weeks ago with Aldora. 84 minutes and came up with 1000 psi. There is only so much to see there. Thanks Dave

Not a big fan of The Kittiwake either. See no reason to sink a ship next to a beautiful and iconic dive site (Sandchute) where the potential to do damage is enormous. We have people who are really anxious to dive that site but interestingly when guests or local DMs talk about their favorite sites it never really gets a mention. It just shows the power of advertising!

Eco Divers will take you to C53 and you can penetrate. There is a super handsome DM beautiful man who could be a super model. They were unable to take us today and this was my very last dive for this lifetime. C53 is fun to penetrate it's like a haunted house.

I'm with you. Wreck diving has never appealed to me; the works of nature are far more interesting to me than are the works of man.

ggun, if the Cozumel reef were to bleach out, and turn white would you still enjoy scuba diving in Cozumel?
If the reefs were white, and all the life (you can see) had died, would you still dive on it?

How many boats do you think would be going out?

I’m starting to wonder if some people simply enjoy scuba diving more than others? In other words, do you have to be on a reef that is alive to enjoy it?

I know that there are many divers that would still have fantastic dives on the dead reef.

ggun, if the Cozumel reef were to bleach out, and turn white would you still enjoy scuba diving in Cozumel? If the reefs were white, and all the life (you can see) had died, would you still dive on it?
I'm not sure what you are driving at. If all the reefs were all dead and wreck diving were all there was, that would be different and I do not know if i would continue diving. Fortunately (and for the time being), such is not the case in the waters around Cozumel.

ggun, if the Cozumel reef were to bleach out, and turn white would you still enjoy scuba diving in Cozumel?
If the reefs were white, and all the life (you can see) had died, would you still dive on it?

How many boats do you think would be going out?

I’m starting to wonder if some people simply enjoy scuba diving more than others? In other words, do you have to be on a reef that is alive to enjoy it?

I know that there are many divers that would still have fantastic dives on the dead reef.
I think it is a rhetorical question for ggun but I wish to answer. I enjoy wreck, reef and cenote/cave but in no way would I “have fantastic dives on the dead reef.” For one thing, my eyes would be too full of tears.

I have to ask, do you really dive “dead reefs” and enjoy it?

Back
Top Bottom