Cabo diving in late January/early February - water temps, critters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
We usually plan our trips far in advance, with an obsession to detail and probably far too much time and attention invested by yours truly. Looks like we're about to diverge form that habit.

Last night my wife came home and announced that she has scheduled a couple weeks vacation from work, starting the end of January through early February. We've talked about Baja before but haven't got around to it. She said "lets go to Baja!" so who am I to argue with the woman?

I'm looking at around 11-12 days, last week of January/first week of February, split between Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, La Paz, and possibly Cabo Pulmo. (We will also start with a couple non-diving days at the beginning of the trip to do whale watching up around Magdalena Bay). I'm expecting we will have a car for at least part of the time (I've driven extensively in Mexico and am OK with that).

We're experienced divers, and we're very spoiled from previous trips (I know we are - Raja Ampat, Palau, regular trips to Cozumel did that to us). I know the diving around southern Baja will be different.

Were not into the whole "girls gone wild" frat boy party mega-tourism scene, so I'm approaching Los Cabos (especially) carefully.

What I'm wondering about are...
  • What kind of water temps should we expect at this time (end of January/early February) at Los Cabos and up Cabo Pulmo and La Paz?
  • Is this a good time for any particular critters? (I know many are highly seasonal - eg I'm hoping to see/maybe swim with whale sharks at La Paz) - and I'm hoping our tropical wetsuits will be adequate for the water at all these places.
  • I know Cabo Pulmo is highly seasonal - how is it at this time (in terms of weather, viz, marine life)?
Thanks for any input on a trip to this area in end of January/early February.

Limited info to offer you. I was in Cabo Pulmo and then to Socorros in early to mid-February 2016. Water temps were around mid-70s (23-24C) in both places, so I am generalizing that water temps will be about the same in Cabo San Lucas and maybe La Paz. Viz ranged from 30 to 50 ft. in Cabo Pulmo. I used a 5mm and at times donned a 2mm hooded vest but everyone's tolerance is different.

Cabo Pulmo has big schools of fish, be it snappers or Big Eye Jacks. With some luck, maybe bullsharks - saw them in November, but saw barely a shadow and a tail of one in February. In the past, this time of the year also produced huge schools of mobulas, but that is not something that can be counted on anymore. I did La Paz in Nov 2016 and saw the whalesharks in La Paz Bay. I don't know if they are there yearround, but it is not the best whaleshark experience because the water there is peasoup - 15 ft viz at best hen we were there. A much better experience can be had in the summers off of Isla Mujeres, with much better viz and more animals, including mantas. If in La Paz, I recommend diving Los Islotes for the sea lions - they are very playful and loads of fun. Also ask about the possibility of doing night dives for small schools of mobulas - I saw maybe about 30.

Cabo Pulmo when I went in Feb 2016, was dry, comfortable during the day and a bit cool at night. If it is a breezy day, it can get a bit cold between dives just sitting there on the boat all wet while doing your surface interval.

nwflyboy, are you flying Alaska Air from Seattle down to LAX then Loreto, or how are you getting to Cabo? I was about to make a new thread about whale watching trips out of Magdalena Bay area, and found this post.

I'm probably just flying from Denver to Cabo since that's relatively cheap ($400). Flying to Loreto is a pain, $650+. Are there decent tour buses that run up to Mag Bay?

nwflyboy, are you flying Alaska Air from Seattle down to LAX then Loreto?...

Yep, exactly: SEA-LAX-LTO for the outbound, renting a car in LTO and heading south. Then for the return, from SJD back to SEA nonstop. All on Alaska (and used miles for the flights :thumb:).

I had actually forgotten that AS flys to LTO as I was starting to plan the trip, then re-discovered that. It makes the logistics a lot better! Drive time from LTO to Mag Bay is just 2-3 hours or so. As opposed to 6+ hours from Los Cabos. Flying in to Loreto and returning home from Cabo allows us to work our way south one stop at a time (reasonably short drive times between stops, generally 2-4 hour legs), and of course this allows a more efficient one-way itinerary rather than a round-trip which requires driving out-then-back.

...Water temps were around mid-70s (23-24C) in both places, so I am generalizing that water temps will be about the same in Cabo San Lucas and maybe La Paz. Viz ranged from 30 to 50 ft. in Cabo Pulmo. I used a 5mm and at times donned a 2mm hooded vest but everyone's tolerance is different...

Thanks, Sam, that's helpful. I'm used to diving warmer waters in just a 3mm shortie (and my wife gets cold easy) so we're going to have to get creative. Appreciate the info.

I'm looking at around 11-12 days, last week of January/first week of February, split between Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, La Paz, and possibly Cabo Pulmo...
Were not into the whole "girls gone wild" frat boy party mega-tourism scene, so I'm approaching Los Cabos (especially) carefully.

What I'm wondering about are...
  • What kind of water temps should we expect at this time (end of January/early February) at Los Cabos and up Cabo Pulmo and La Paz?
  • Is this a good time for any particular critters? (I know many are highly seasonal - eg I'm hoping to see/maybe swim with whale sharks at La Paz) - and I'm hoping our tropical wetsuits will be adequate for the water at all these places.
  • I know Cabo Pulmo is highly seasonal - how is it at this time (in terms of weather, viz, marine life)?
Thanks for any input on a trip to this area in end of January/early February.

Hello there!
Is there anything in particular you want to see in San Jose del Cabo or Cabo San Lucas? The diving is generally much better in Cabo Pulmo. I usually just go there when I visit (yearly or bi-yearly). I will stay in Cabo San Lucas only because my friend does happen to enjoy the mega-tourism bar scene.
Other dive friends head to Cabo San Lucas or San Jose to prepare for their Socorro Island journeys.

Water temps are in the 70s. No more warmer 80s! I usually throw on my 5mm and a lavacore hoodie. Your mileage my vary - I've seen divers use a 7mm or even semi-drys. When I go in November, I wear a 2.5 shorty with my lavacore hooded vest. I don't like to pack my full suits, but it can get chillier so I just prefer to be comfortable.

November is when I make my yearly pilgrimage. The last time I visited in January was 2016. In 2018 I also went in March.
So far, I've seen bulls on each visit - usually around the El Vencedor dive site, sometimes El Cien. Otherwise, lots n lots of fish, cortez round rays, etc. Are you looking for something in particular?

I never thought of Cabo Pulmo as being seasonal as far as marine life - maybe because I've always seen the same things underwater - including the sharks, rays, and fish. :-D But now that I think about it, during some parts of the year, there have been more sharks, more types of nudis, etc. And sometimes we've seen a lot more whales while on the boat.
It will be cooler on land as well. You're not traveling during Aug/Sept so it's no longer hurricane season and super hot.

In this forum are other threads about Cabo Pulmo that I've posted quite a bit of info on. Check those out. Especially about the dive site rotation for the area. That might be really helpful!

Was in CSL mid-end of Jan. 2018. I took all of my gear except for a wetsuit - I used a 5mm from the dive op. Also took a hood for the occasion.

Went to Cabo Pulmo one day. Viz was 20-30 feet and water temps 75-77º. Was told that we should see some bull sharks, but the 1000's of swirling jacks and some puffers were about all we saw - no bull sharks.

Dove in CSL where the water temps were cooler, 72 -74º. Viz was about 30 ft. Hoped to see sea lions down below but only saw them topside. Didn't see much life, but some different topography. Talked to people who dove the next day who said they saw sea lions on their dive.

Unfortunately, for being there 2 weeks, we didn't give the diving a fair shot. My dive buddy wasn't impressed on the days we dove and didn't want to go more than what we did.

If you are using a tour company for the whale sharks in La Paz, they will provide wetsuits. The guides tell you to stay 9 feet from the whale sharks, but, when in the water, we didn't see them until they were right beside us (still pretty cool.) It was easier to see them when they were right beside the boat. The water was pretty murky.

The weather should be great if you like the desert. January is a dry month and most days are sunny.

We had a great time in CSL.

It's currently 72/73°F underwater in Cabo Pulmo. My dive op put vis at 35 feet which I'd say is accurate (better at some sites, worse at others).

The big school of jacks is here, as are the bull sharks - I saw the bulls on both El Vencedor dives I did though the divers on Dec 23 didn't see any.

Many people I shared boats with felt chilled on the second dive. Consider an extra layer of neoprene if possible.

Apparently lots of sardines right now in La Paz (dove with an instructor who had just come from there) but not sure how long they'll stick around.

Back
Top Bottom