Cabo Pulmo/La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeaf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I am planning a trip to CP & La Paz for June next year. We will be doing the Soccorro's first, and then plan to hire a car in Cabo San Lucas and drive to CP & La Paz. Just looking for some input as to recommended dive operators (Tripadvisor recommends Cabo Pulmo Diving & Dive in La Paz), accommodation options and length of stay/number of dives. We were thinking either 4 or 5 days at each doing 8-10 dives. Appreciate any info anyone can provide. Thanks.

We did La Paz last year and Cabo Pulmo this year, both in November, using Manta Scuba out of Cabo San Lucas for day trips.

If you are going to rent a car to go to Cabo Pulmo, I would recommend that you get something that is four wheel drive; as the last five or six miles makes the worst road you have ever been on look like an Interstate highway.

Sorry I can't recommend local dive ops in either La Paz or Pulmo, but we thoroughly enjoyed Pulmo.

Here's a couple of pictures as samples from our dives at Pulmo.

44145934150_0b15960a99.jpg

45913211072_88420cab99.jpg

I dive with Pilu at Cabo Pulmo Diving. The TA review by kumimonster is from me.
I'm usually here for 2x a year. I don't drive anymore. I just get a shuttle and walk everywhere.
My usually stay is 9 days so I can dive at least 7 before flying home or visiting CSL for a couple days of diving.
Unfortunately, I've never gone to La Paz. Not yet!

For accommodations, I usually always stay at Baja Bungalows - Kent and Lynn are so wonderful - it's chill, laid back, and comfortable here. It's not on the beach, but it's central to all the spots and everything is an easy walk away.
If you want something by the beach, then check out Tres Amigos (managed by Henri who is with Pilu who runs Cabo Pulmo Diving). El Encato is a nice artsy spot as well just on the main road across from Baja Bungalows. I've heard nice things but I've never stayed there.

Cabo Pulmo has their popular dive sites limited so hopefully you arrive when sites are not "locked".
Only a certain amount of dive boats per day and per week.
For example, I arrived on Monday, I dove yesterday. One of the most popular sites here is the boat wreck where the bull sharks usually hang out and it's already closed so I have to wait until Saturday in order to dive it. (I'm here now!)

Hmmm. It's a little cooler outside. It's almost wear a light hoodie weather. Warm in the water but BRRRR on the boat when you're wet!

Bruce and I just spent a great week diving with Cabo Pulmo Watersports. We thoroughly enjoyed the diving and overall experience of this eco village. The boat captain and dive guides were outstanding and enthusiastic about their environment. We loved the schooling jacks and were surprised to find out that you can actually smell the jacks in the air. The captain picked out the schools by a colour change in the water which we could never see.

We stayed at Casa Cactus which was delightful accommodation. Our kitchen opened into a courtyard with a 15' cactus in the center of the seating area. We really enjoyed the spaciousness of our ground floor suite. The Bali daybed was great to stretch out on and chill during the lazy afternoons when not diving. Our onsite hostess, Cheryl Harris, was warm and welcoming and very helpful. She feeds the birds twice a day so we often felt like we were living in an aviary. We felt like we had our own oasis in the desert brush.

We would highly recommend you check our Cabo Pulmo Watersports and Casa Cactus. You won't be disappointed.

ibj, kumi & Lynn, thanks for your replies. I've emailed Pilu but no reply as yet. Will also check out CP Watersports. Thanks for the accom recommendations.

Kumi - Where does the shuttle run from, the airport? Do you know if there is a shuttle from CP to La Paz?

ibj, kumi & Lynn, thanks for your replies. I've emailed Pilu but no reply as yet. Will also check out CP Watersports. Thanks for the accom recommendations.

Kumi - Where does the shuttle run from, the airport? Do you know if there is a shuttle from CP to La Paz?

Right now it's busy season but it's starting to wind down so she should get back to you soon! The internet is limited here as well - I actually use my own phone which I've found is faster than anything available locally here - plus, when you do get here, places that have wifi will ask you to not stream, watch videos, etc.
I'll see Pilu tomorrow and remind her to check her email. :)

I use a local guy named Ulises - he lives in La Ribera - and he has local nice drivers that work for him.
uolachea@gmail.com
You can ask for a direct ride to/from or you can also request a stop at one of the local grocery stores to pick up stuff before hitting Cabo Pulmo. (There are places to buy stuff here, but it's limited).
They and any other company you hire will ask you for your flight info and that will determine where the shuttle will pick you up. Most international flights seem to come in at terminal 2 (3 as well). Once you pop outside there was a line up of drivers waiting just there for you near the Corona Bar but now you have to cross the street to look for them. It should be easy enough.
It's better to pre-book your transportation in advance.

I don't know about getting to La Paz from CP. I know people that have just rented cars if they're doing the drive. I've not looked into getting a private car really, however I do know that there's a bus from la paz that's really inexpensive that will go to the airport or San Jose del Cabo!

OOO!!!
A new restaurant opened up this past weekend. It's right near the tower and across from the entrance of la palapa.
It's open during the day - perfect for post-dive food if you don't want the full menu of La Palapa.
It's called Tacos & Beer. They serve tacos and beer and ceviche, etc.
Not open at night right now though, as it's owned by the folks at Caballeros and they're open for dinner!

Kumi, how many days of diving would you recommend we do at Cabo Pulmo? We were thinking either 4 or 5. What is the minimum to see the key dive sites? Thanks

Howdy!
Well that depends on how much time you have and what the rotation schedule is when you get there.
For example, I landed Nov 19 (monday). I did not get to dive at the wreck site until the 24th (Saturday).

The main site that everyone wants to go to is the wreck: El Vencedor. The bull sharks often hang out there and that's where numerous fish and moray eels (green and jeweled) hang out. On the last visit I saw 3 guitar fish has we descended as well as at least 10 sharks in my field of vision. Earlier this year there were some slugs too: a couple of yellow tylodina on top of one of the wreck parts.

It's one site you will probably want/need to dive.

After that, the other major sites are El Bajo and Los Morros and Esperanza - really nice reefs and rocks with a lot of life to be found both small and large. El Cantil can be nice too. A couple of these sites are divided into north and south.
Towards the south of Cabo Pulmo, there's the sea lion colony which is nice if you're into seeing those guys. Casitas which has some swim throughs, and La Islote which can be really pretty. Often there are creatures hiding in the rocks or there might be a nice sized group of jacks nearby.

There's one site called Mario's Reef or Le Cien (i think that's the name). It's a deeper dive and somewhat barren at times but this is also a location where the bulls sometimes hang out. Each time I've been I've seen at least a couple.

On this last trip while sheltering from the wind after diving La Islote, we were at a site called Pedregal. It's not one of the popular ones. I dove it for the first time this year and loved it. Lots of large boulders with crabs skittering between the cracks. Some fish but plenty of coral with more small crabs and even a few frog fish hiding inside. When moving deeper and up to the boat there were some larger rays (diamond I think) as well.

You're supposed to be allowed one "pretty sister" a day and then you have to "suffer" with another site. The first 4 above are going to be the popular ones. But all of them have a good side too!

There's also an option to go dive outside of the park at Los Frailes. There are some spots similar to the reefs in the park and once in a while a nice shoal of fish will be present. One site here has a deep trench you can dive that goes beyond 100 ft. Not much to see down there without a light and nothing I ever saw in that area was something I couldn't see at a shallower depth.

It seems many operators will dive 2 tanks per day. However if you want more, then just ask. For example Pilu (Cabo Pulmo Diving) only does 2 herself, but she will contract out another DM when I want do to more in a single day (and I do like the other DMs so I'm not bothered by this).

I'm currently trying to upload my photos from this visit but if you'd like to see them:
kumi's moblog
(in reverse order)

Hope that helps!

Howdy!
Well that depends on how much time you have and what the rotation schedule is when you get there.
For example, I landed Nov 19 (monday). I did not get to dive at the wreck site until the 24th (Saturday).

The main site that everyone wants to go to is the wreck: El Vencedor. The bull sharks often hang out there and that's where numerous fish and moray eels (green and jeweled) hang out. On the last visit I saw 3 guitar fish has we descended as well as at least 10 sharks in my field of vision. Earlier this year there were some slugs too: a couple of yellow tylodina on top of one of the wreck parts.

It's one site you will probably want/need to dive.

After that, the other major sites are El Bajo and Los Morros and Esperanza - really nice reefs and rocks with a lot of life to be found both small and large. El Cantil can be nice too. A couple of these sites are divided into north and south.
Towards the south of Cabo Pulmo, there's the sea lion colony which is nice if you're into seeing those guys. Casitas which has some swim throughs, and La Islote which can be really pretty. Often there are creatures hiding in the rocks or there might be a nice sized group of jacks nearby.

There's one site called Mario's Reef or Le Cien (i think that's the name). It's a deeper dive and somewhat barren at times but this is also a location where the bulls sometimes hang out. Each time I've been I've seen at least a couple.

On this last trip while sheltering from the wind after diving La Islote, we were at a site called Pedregal. It's not one of the popular ones. I dove it for the first time this year and loved it. Lots of large boulders with crabs skittering between the cracks. Some fish but plenty of coral with more small crabs and even a few frog fish hiding inside. When moving deeper and up to the boat there were some larger rays (diamond I think) as well.

You're supposed to be allowed one "pretty sister" a day and then you have to "suffer" with another site. The first 4 above are going to be the popular ones. But all of them have a good side too!

There's also an option to go dive outside of the park at Los Frailes. There are some spots similar to the reefs in the park and once in a while a nice shoal of fish will be present. One site here has a deep trench you can dive that goes beyond 100 ft. Not much to see down there without a light and nothing I ever saw in that area was something I couldn't see at a shallower depth.

It seems many operators will dive 2 tanks per day. However if you want more, then just ask. For example Pilu (Cabo Pulmo Diving) only does 2 herself, but she will contract out another DM when I want do to more in a single day (and I do like the other DMs so I'm not bothered by this).

I'm currently trying to upload my photos from this visit but if you'd like to see them:
kumi's moblog
(in reverse order)

Hope that helps!
That's great info, thanks Kumi.

Back
Top Bottom