Cabo Pulmo/La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in Cabo Pulmo at the same time as Kumi and her friends. Had some great dives. We did go to La Paz on our last full day there and snorkeled with whale sharks and sea lions......a lot of fun. I can't speak to the diving in La Paz but you should be able to get a recommendation from knowledgeable people in Cabo Pulmo if you need one. Enjoy your trip, it's a great place to go.

@kumimonster thanks for all this terrific info. I had found it very hard to find any detailed, recent info on Pulmo diving.

Can you tell me, are there any Pulmo sites that stand out for smaller animals in your experience (frogfish, nudis, juvenile fish, etc)? I'm hoping to look more for smaller animals and endemics.

And how many dives can you do with Pilu's shop in a day - 3? Have you done any night dives there and were they any good?

@kumimonster thanks for all this terrific info. I had found it very hard to find any detailed, recent info on Pulmo diving.

Can you tell me, are there any Pulmo sites that stand out for smaller animals in your experience (frogfish, nudis, juvenile fish, etc)? I'm hoping to look more for smaller animals and endemics.

And how many dives can you do with Pilu's shop in a day - 3? Have you done any night dives there and were they any good?

You're welcome! I really enjoy it there. The dives are very enjoyable and staying there is so relaxing and peaceful.
Just remember to bring CASH!

El Bajo is great for smaller creatures. And El Cantil. But really, it's a matter of keeping your eyes open. The frog fish I did spy were small tiny white ones at pedregal and los morros. The photo blog link i posted earlier should have tags and info with the dive sites. The nudies were at Esperanza and morros. In March, earlier this year I saw a bunch of Mexican Dancers - Elysea Diomedea - all over the place. I thought I was in SE Asia or something! But it's not really as colorful as that but they're around. Once in a while I'll see juvenile wrass - mostly the rock fish wrasse (i think they're called dragon wrasse?).
Really, any dive site can have something cool. Even El vencedor (the wreck with the bulls). It's just that people are usually focused on the magnificent sharks swirling around them!

Pilu will only do 2 dives a day, but if you want to do more, just ask her and she has other DMs she works with. One, named Manuella loves the small things and is great at finding them especially if you tell her that's what you want to see.
Pilu loves the big fish and the sharks! haha.

I've only done one "night" dive there and really it was a late afternoon thing. The sun was down by the time we got in.
The difficulty with night dives are the lack of people and interest. And it's also a lot of work for the shops to organize because they do a beach entry where the little boats are on trailers and pushed in by trucks. For the exit, they need to get the boats back on these trailers and then brought out. It takes a bit of work and these guys usually have been up at the crack of dawn for the morning sessions.
It can't hurt to ask and I have, but I never got the chance. If you have enough people with interest and wallets then maybe that might make it happen for you!

Not kumimonster but she had recommended Baja Bungalows which is also where we're staying so thought I'd share the link. I found them on Trip Advisor but think you have to book direct.

Baja Bungalows is a great place to stay. Quiet and private. We were in Juan's Casita in March and the bottom floor of the New House in late November. If you plan to cook any meals it's best to stop for groceries in San Jose del Cabo.....Sorianas is just south of the airport. A bag of ice and a cardboard box makes a Baja cooler for transporting perishables. There is a small store in Cabo Pulmo but they don't carry a lot and no fruits/vegetables. You can drive into La Ribera but it's a half hour away over a rough road.

Hi Kumi, can you recommend any accommodation options? I've had a look on airbnb but it's tough to tell. They all look pretty basic. Hardly any have aircon either. Thanks for your help.
Depending on when you go, you really don't need aircon! The only time I found it necessary was during an August trip when it was definitely toasty hot!
This year was much cooler than expected too. From my possibly spotty memory, I thought November would be more like 85-90F but really it was around 75-80F at the hottest and in the evening I'd be looking for my hoodie! At night I grabbed the extra blanket!

Besides Baja Bungalows, check out El Encanto. That place is super cute from what friends say. I have not actually experienced the spot myself. Tres Amigos has nice spots (stayed here) and is on the beach and Alicia's cabanas seems very cute too (not stayed but walked around). She's on facebook but I don't think I've seen an actual website.
Cabañas Alicia's Cabo Pulmo BCS

Going to Cabo Pulmo for the first time around the end of January/first few days of February. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of water temps? We are spoiled by Cozumel and warm Caribbean trips so I worry we might freeze our butts off...

Thanks.

Going to Cabo Pulmo for the first time around the end of January/first few days of February. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of water temps? We are spoiled by Cozumel and warm Caribbean trips so I worry we might freeze our butts off...

Thanks.
It's usually around 80 or so during the warmer season. In January, I remember having a 5mm full cuz it was in the 70s (f).
Bring a hoodie for the evenings. :-D

I dive with Pilu at Cabo Pulmo Diving. The TA review by kumimonster is from me.
I'm usually here for 2x a year. I don't drive anymore. I just get a shuttle and walk everywhere.
My usually stay is 9 days so I can dive at least 7 before flying home or visiting CSL for a couple days of diving.
Unfortunately, I've never gone to La Paz. Not yet!

For accommodations, I usually always stay at Baja Bungalows - Kent and Lynn are so wonderful - it's chill, laid back, and comfortable here. It's not on the beach, but it's central to all the spots and everything is an easy walk away.
If you want something by the beach, then check out Tres Amigos (managed by Henri who is with Pilu who runs Cabo Pulmo Diving). El Encato is a nice artsy spot as well just on the main road across from Baja Bungalows. I've heard nice things but I've never stayed there.

Cabo Pulmo has their popular dive sites limited so hopefully you arrive when sites are not "locked".
Only a certain amount of dive boats per day and per week.
For example, I arrived on Monday, I dove yesterday. One of the most popular sites here is the boat wreck where the bull sharks usually hang out and it's already closed so I have to wait until Saturday in order to dive it. (I'm here now!)

Hmmm. It's a little cooler outside. It's almost wear a light hoodie weather. Warm in the water but BRRRR on the boat when you're wet!
We may try to hit Cabo Pulmo this November. Do you remember the water temps around the end of November? I'm a polar bear, but the two guys that may go with me think 80 degrees is cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom