Trip Report Cabo San Lucas: See Creatures, Tesoro Hotel, May 21-24, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sorry for the delay in posting this.

I travelled to Cabo San Lucas in May 2019, three days early, before boarding the Nautilus Explorer for a trip to the Revillagigedos. I decided to take advantage of the local diving opportunities. I found the Cabo Dive Center on the Nautilus website, as they offered a free warm up dive for divers scheduled on one of their liveaboards. Since my visit, the dive operator has been renamed See Creatures, following a merger with the former dive shop, Amigos del Mar. The location is the same, just outside the main lobby of the Tesoro Hotel. The warm up dive is still offered by Nautilus.

Reservations
:
I made my airline reservations directly with American Airlines. Reservations with the Tesoro Hotel and Cabo Dive Center/See Creatures were made directly.

Travel: I flew from Philadelphia to Los Cabos, with a stop in Phoenix. Transport to and from the hotel was with Terramar, recommended by Nautilus, worked seamlessly. It’s something like 45 minutes from the airport to Cabo San Lucas.

Accommodations: The Tesoro Hotel is located on the marina. I had a quiet, comfortable, deluxe marina view room with a nice balcony. Breakfast was included, I ate at the Lighthouse, just across from the dive shop. I ate most lunches and dinners at Vista Roof restaurant, good food and variety, moderate cost. There is a large pool overlooking the marina.

Diving
:
For my three days of diving, I had planned to do one day in the Cabo San Lucas Marine Park, one day in the Corridor, and one day diving Gordo Banks. Unfortunately, seas were high, it was quite windy, and conditions limited diving to the marine park. We were not even able to dive at Land’s End, as the conditions would not allow. We ended up doing a dive at Neptune’s Finger, 3 dives around Pelican Rock, and 2 drift dives either starting or ending at Pelican Rock. We met each morning at the dive shop and made a short walk to the boat. We had only 3-5 divers and a good DM, Luis. He did a very good job dealing with a group varying from quite experienced to rank beginner. Unfortunately, due to the diversity of the group, dives were short, averaging about 40 minutes (25-46). I dived air for all six dives. Current and surge were moderate, greater at times, Visibility was 20-30 feet, water temperature was 70-73, maximum depths were 67-84 feet. I was perfectly comfortable in my 7 mm full suit and hooded vest I brought for the Revillagigedos. Others, with less exposure protection, got very cold. Despite the less than optimum conditions, there was an abundant variety of sea life, including a couple of sea lions, large schools of snapper, spotted and golden Guineafowl Puffers, many Balloonfish, Porcupinefish, some large Broomtail Grouper, a Guitarfish, Reef Cornet, Chinese Trumpet, Threebanded Butterflyfish, Barberfish, Green Morays… The dive shop did not charge me for my 2 tanker on the last day, the day I was scheduled for the Nautilus warm up dive.

So, despite adverse conditions, I had a pretty enjoyable time diving before my liveaboard trip. I was not able to experience the full spectrum of diving Cabo San Lucas has to offer. In addition, See Creatures offers a day trip to Cabo Pulmo, done through a local affiliate. I doubt I would choose Cabo San Lucas as a primary dive destination, but it is certainly a fine place to spend some time if you are going out on a liveaboard from that location.

Sorry for the delay in posting this.

I travelled to Cabo San Lucas in May 2019, three days early, before boarding the Nautilus Explorer for a trip to the Revillagigedos. I decided to take advantage of the local diving opportunities. I found the Cabo Dive Center on the Nautilus website, as they offered a free warm up dive for divers scheduled on one of their liveaboards. Since my visit, the dive operator has been renamed See Creatures, following a merger with the former dive shop, Amigos del Mar. The location is the same, just outside the main lobby of the Tesoro Hotel. The warm up dive is still offered by Nautilus.

Reservations
:
I made my airline reservations directly with American Airlines. Reservations with the Tesoro Hotel and Cabo Dive Center/See Creatures were made directly.

Travel: I flew from Philadelphia to Los Cabos, with a stop in Phoenix. Transport to and from the hotel was with Terramar, recommended by Nautilus, worked seamlessly. It’s something like 45 minutes from the airport to Cabo San Lucas.

Accommodations: The Tesoro Hotel is located on the marina. I had a quiet, comfortable, deluxe marina view room with a nice balcony. Breakfast was included, I ate at the Lighthouse, just across from the dive shop. I ate most lunches and dinners at Vista Roof restaurant, good food and variety, moderate cost. There is a large pool overlooking the marina.

Diving
:
For my three days of diving, I had planned to do one day in the Cabo San Lucas Marine Park, one day in the Corridor, and one day diving Gordo Banks. Unfortunately, seas were high, it was quite windy, and conditions limited diving to the marine park. We were not even able to dive at Land’s End, as the conditions would not allow. We ended up doing a dive at Neptune’s Finger, 3 dives around Pelican Rock, and 2 drift dives either starting or ending at Pelican Rock. We met each morning at the dive shop and made a short walk to the boat. We had only 3-5 divers and a good DM, Luis. He did a very good job dealing with a group varying from quite experienced to rank beginner. Unfortunately, due to the diversity of the group, dives were short, averaging about 40 minutes (25-46). I dived air for all six dives. Current and surge were moderate, greater at times, Visibility was 20-30 feet, water temperature was 70-73, maximum depths were 67-84 feet. I was perfectly comfortable in my 7 mm full suit and hooded vest I brought for the Revillagigedos. Others, with less exposure protection, got very cold. Despite the less than optimum conditions, there was an abundant variety of sea life, including a couple of sea lions, large schools of snapper, spotted and golden Guineafowl Puffers, many Balloonfish, Porcupinefish, some large Broomtail Grouper, a Guitarfish, Reef Cornet, Chinese Trumpet, Threebanded Butterflyfish, Barberfish, Green Morays… The dive shop did not charge me for my 2 tanker on the last day, the day I was scheduled for the Nautilus warm up dive.

So, despite adverse conditions, I had a pretty enjoyable time diving before my liveaboard trip. I was not able to experience the full spectrum of diving Cabo San Lucas has to offer. In addition, See Creatures offers a day trip to Cabo Pulmo, done through a local affiliate. I doubt I would choose Cabo San Lucas as a primary dive destination, but it is certainly a fine place to spend some time if you are going out on a liveaboard from that location.

Hi I'm going this March to Cabo at a time share and want to do a couple days of diving. Do you recommend rental gear for only two or three days? I have done short trips and the cost wasn't much difference if I brought my gear. Another thing...if I brought my gear do they rent the 7 mil wetsuit? I know I will need that.....Thanks in advance.

Did you see much (e.g.: different animal species) diving land-based that you didn't see on your live-aboard diving? Curious as to what diversity the land-based adds to a live-aboard.

In the past, I've read of the Cabo area and figured it was less expensive than a live-aboard, and might appeal to people who didn't want to do as many divers per day and liked to hang out and relax while still enjoying fairly warm (compared to California I would think) Pacific diving, with species they don't see in the Caribbean.

Attaching a few days diving Cabo to a Socorros live-aboard trip is an angle I hadn't thought of.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

As I wrote, my diving variety was limited by the conditions during my visit and I was only able to dive in the Cabo San Lucas Marine Park. I had planned to dive in the Corridor and at Gordo Banks also. So, I can't comment on the full spectrum of diving available from Cabo San Lucas. I only saw sea lions in the marine park and the Guitarfish was a nice bonus.

If I were to return to Cabo San Lucas for another trip to the Revillagigedos, I would not hesitate to do the same thing and arrange for several days of diving before the liveaboard. I would hope to be able to dive all the locations available.

It should be noted that not all of the Revillagigedos liveaboards leave from Cabo San Lucas. The Nautilus liveaboards do leave from there, I believe the Solmar V does also. The Aggressor, the Rocio Del Mar and the Quino El Guardian leave from San Jose Del Cabo. I don't know about others

Very best and good diving, Craig

Hi I'm going this March to Cabo at a time share and want to do a couple days of diving. Do you recommend rental gear for only two or three days? I have done short trips and the cost wasn't much difference if I brought my gear. Another thing...if I brought my gear do they rent the 7 mil wetsuit? I know I will need that.....Thanks in advance.

I can generally comment that we have been to Cabo San Lucas twice (and will be going back this November). On each of our prior trips, we did three days of diving: Pelican Rock/Land's End; Corridor for two tanks; and either La Paz (first trip going out to Los Islotes - long, bumpy boat ride for a so-so dive) or Cabo Pulmo (long, bumpy van ride for some great diving!) two tanker.

That said, we have brought full gear for each trip (including wet suits); however our trips have all been in November, when the water temperature is at its highest of the year. I dive a 5mm BARE, my wife dives a 3mm Henderson. Additionally, our dives have been with Manta, so I cannot comment on the availability of thicker wet suits for rent.

I can generally comment that we have been to Cabo San Lucas twice (and will be going back this November). On each of our prior trips, we did three days of diving: Pelican Rock/Land's End; Corridor for two tanks; and either La Paz (first trip going out to Los Islotes - long, bumpy boat ride for a so-so dive) or Cabo Pulmo (long, bumpy van ride for some great diving!) two tanker.

That said, we have brought full gear for each trip (including wet suits); however our trips have all been in November, when the water temperature is at its highest of the year. I dive a 5mm BARE, my wife dives a 3mm Henderson. Additionally, our dives have been with Manta, so I cannot comment on the availability of thicker wet suits for rent.

Thank you, I read the first thread and they said 70's...I could do a 5 but I would want a 7.

Thank you, I read the first thread and they said 70's...I could do a 5 but I would want a 7.

In November, we were seeing high 70's/low 80's for water temps. I dive my 5mm, regardless of water temp, for support for some back and leg issues I have. My wife is very comfortable in her 3mm (in November).

Good source here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom