Cabo San Lucas - sometime soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shellbird,

Did you mention when you are going to Cabo and I just missed it? Have fun and post a trip report when you get back. I'll be in Cabo at the beginning of April, so any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

shellbird:
Thanks for the responses! I am staying in a friend's time-share at the Villas Del Palmar. It is the last resort before the protected sea turtle sanctuary from what I understand. We are flying America West and I think we could have gotten better rates but too late now, tickets are bought, room it paid for, no regrets at this point. 7 days of sun, fun and diving here I come!!! :bounce:

I was in Cabo a week ago. Unfortunately, I only had a chance to dive one day. Since I was the extra diver I went along with a group that was taking their first dives after certification. We dove with Aigos Del Mar and went to the "blow hole" and "twin dolphins." Water temp was high 60's and the air temp was low 70's. There was a fairly pronounced surge and the visibility was fair. We had a good time but the conditions certainly weren't up to Cozumel levels. I liked the Amigos Del Mar people and will certainly dive with them again. I took my own dive gear and was glad that I did. While I rate Amigos Del Mar high on the professionalism scale I was happy that I wasn't using their regulators which looked a bit worn. I'm not doubting their safety as I assume that they have been serviced properly, they just looked a bit on the overused side. I was also surprised that when we boarded the boat and were ready to leave, the tanks hadn't been topped off and we had to wait while they were taken back to the shop and filled.
One regret I have is that I dove in a 7mm fj suit. The other people in the group were diving with 3mm suits and 3mm shortys. Next time I'm going to take a lighter suit so I don't have to wear so much lead.
As everyone else has posted, the nightlife is great in Cabo. I was staying at Club Cascadas in a timeshare. The cab to town was six dollars plus tip. The cab to Amigos Del Mar was ten plus tip. If you have dinner at the Trailer Park order one dinner and split it. Enjoy.

Hi. I dove with neptunos, a year ago, and only dove at sites close to the marina, there i remember the channel where mar de cortez and pacific ocean met, wonderfull, current take you back and forward, and at the same time sea lions are swimming all around... great innmersion to remember.

good luck...

I leave on the 24th and I am ready to burst with excitement. Never been to the west coast before so this is a real treat for us.

One question, should I plan on diving in a full wet suit or will a 5mm shorty sufice? Still not clear on water temps, some say colder than others. How did you dive it?

I dove in a 7mm farmer john with hood and gloves. It was way too much. My dive partners dove with 3mm jumpsuits with 3mm shorties. They told me that they could feel the water temp change during the dive (I coulndn't) but were plenty warm enough. This was a couple of weeks ago so I assume the water temps are about the same. I would suggest that a shorty probably isn't enough. You probably want some thermal protection on your legs. 3mm on your legs and arms should be enough unless you get cold. Have a great time.

Thanks. I don't have a large selection of suits, did you rent. It really grosses me out to rent a suite but I don't want to have to lug a suite there. I am bringing my regs though.

jahhaas:
I dove in a 7mm farmer john with hood and gloves. It was way too much. My dive partners dove with 3mm jumpsuits with 3mm shorties. They told me that they could feel the water temp change during the dive (I coulndn't) but were plenty warm enough. This was a couple of weeks ago so I assume the water temps are about the same. I would suggest that a shorty probably isn't enough. You probably want some thermal protection on your legs. 3mm on your legs and arms should be enough unless you get cold. Have a great time.

I took my own suit. The dive shop had plenty of suits for rent. I don't think I would hesitate to rent a suit, though I always prefer to dive with my own gear. I did take my own bc and regulator and was happy that I did. The rental regulators and bc's looked a bit on the worn side though I suspect they had been properly maintained. Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom