Cabo San Lucas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
All the Cabo posts I searched on the forum were close to ten years old, time for an update. I have been to Cancun/Cozumel/Cenotes a dozen times and would like to try the Pacific. I understand the hammerheads have become less common at Gordo Banks in recent years. Any general comments on the dive conditions in Cabo?

I really enjoyed Cabo, even the sites in the bay are colourful with lots of small schooling fish. Gordo and pulmo are world class. There has even been hammer sightings at the end of the world site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't been in a few years but still have friends there. I hear it is as diverse as always perhaps even better. It is an amazing and under-rated area to go to, not just for diving but for the entire experience.

Been there in February and while the water was much colder than I had expected, the dives were wonderful. The most interesting part to me was the contrast to Caribbean diving, which was all that I had known up to that point. The marine life is just so different that it's like a whole new world.

Don't expect clarity or visibility to be equal to the Caribbean. Visibility typically maxed out at 30 feet. One day the water was so murky that my husband aborted the dive while descending due to visibility which did not exceed 10 feet. I continued with the dive since I would be miserably sea sick sitting on a boat waiting for the other divers. Yet I would definitely return for the reasons explained by the other posters. The abundance and variety of marine life was unparalleled by the dives I have done in the Caribbean. My avitar picture was taken near the Cabo harbor. The number of green morays was unbelievable.

I agree with Decompression about the Cabo Pulmo dives. Amazing, large schools of grouper the size of VW Bugs. I hear that there have been numerous sightings of bull sharks lately. Did not encounter any when visiting in July years ago. Be prepared for chilly water temps. One dive in the harbor was 81 on the surface and 61 degrees at 70 feet below.

we had great visibility in february, nothing to what morecowbells has experienced
water temp ranged from 72-75F, can't believe in July was colder then February
its on the list to return to Cabo and i will highly recommend it to anyone

we stayed at Riu and took the collectivo for $1.50 per trip/pp to Dive Cabo shop in the marina, other then not having 1 nitrox tank for one day, its a great dive shop

pictures from Cabo

and the video of the whales singing :D, turn up your volume

[video=youtube;DCyAr0tRTqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyAr0tRTqU&feature=autoshare[/video]

Hi FISHDIVER

We are one of the operating Dive Shops here in Cabo. We have been really lucky this year with incredibly warm water. Surface temperatures are around 83 degrees at the moment with a small thermocline dropping to no less than 75. Mobula Rays and Pacific cownose Rays have been seen in large schools in the past few weeks and there is plenty of large schooling fish around.

Visibility is not the greatest since we have had a lot of swells and stormy weather recently (very little rain though) this should hopefully clear up soon with conditions improving day by day.

Gordo Banks is a very hit and miss dive, the hammerheads are just not really seen anymore. The pinnacle is located around 95ft and most of the dive is spent in the blue to see what swims by but overall can be an amazing dive.

Please feel free to email me if you would like anymore information regarding diving in Cabo.

It's been a couple of years for me diving in Cabo, but I will second (third) Cabo Pulmo. I used Amigos del Mar down by the marina and was happy with their service. Pulmo is a whole day trip, leaving CSL early and driving by van to the dive site. The diving was spectacular, viz was great and quantity of marine life enough to fill your camera's card.

I will always remember Cabo for the big school of mobula rays - slow-motion flying in formation like an MC Escher print - I saw in October 4 years ago. They swam (flew) by us 2x. Unforgettable moment. And this was out near the Arch... very close to the harbor. The water in October was relatively warm...

I'm planning on diving Cabo Pulmo next week. some between the 4th and 9th of September with a friend. were both instructors, marine biology students and keen photographers. the only issue is we dont have a car. Is anyone planning/interested in planning a trip in that time from La Paz??? Its a long shot i know!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom