Calculating average depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started writing my own analyse program fir the cressi leonardo.. Then i decided that it wont make the computer any better and switched to perdix :p

But if you want to calculate the avg deph, just export (export, not download) the dive to your computer.
Open it with an editor and there you have all the dephs saved during tue dive. Add them up and divide by the total number.

Much better to have your SAC/RMV for the entire dive, more accurate too.

100% true. however, not all divers have computers, and if they do, they are not always capable of such a calculation. hell, as an instructor, i am just happy when a student actually is interested in learning how to calculate their sac rate at all. haha

average depth = integral of (depth as a function of time dt) / total time

If you think about it for a few more seconds, an integral is the area under the curve, and depth and time are your b and h. On a square profile your formula reduces to b * h / b, i.e. you average depth is the h aka bottom (less descent, ascent, and wobbles). Similarly on a triangular profile it's b * h / 2 / b i.e. roughly half of max. depth.

It's really only wild see-saw profiles that you can't reasonably approximate to a square or a triangle, where you need the fancy math.

(Also switch to metric, it's sooo much easier in litres and bars. :wink:

It's really only wild see-saw profiles that you can't reasonably approximate to a square or a triangle, where you need the fancy math.
And many mutilevel dives thar have a chunk at the beginning at max depth....like recreational divers tend to do.

Man, a lot of discussion here. I've used the Leonardo for a few years. To keep it simple, just get the interface from Leisurepro and download the free Subsurface software. You plug the interface into the USB port of your laptop/desktop computer, start subsurface, put the Leonardo into PC Link mode, place it on the interface, click on "download from dive computer", and any dives not yet downloaded are downloaded to subsurface. After the dive data are downloaded you select the tank size, enter the starting and ending tank pressure for each dive, go to the information tab and you will see everything you need: dive time, max depth, average depth (this is a time-weighted average of the depth taken every 20 seconds), SAC, water temperature, and more plus a slick graphic of your dive. If you want to use subsurface as your dive log, you can also add the equipment you used on each dive, the dive location, divemaster, and any other notes or media you like. Takes me 5 minutes to download and enter data for my dives.

Man, a lot of discussion here. I've used the Leonardo for a few years. To keep it simple, just get the interface from Leisurepro and download the free Subsurface software. You plug the interface into the USB port of your laptop/desktop computer, start subsurface, put the Leonardo into PC Link mode, place it on the interface, click on "download from dive computer", and any dives not yet downloaded are downloaded to subsurface. After the dive data are downloaded you select the tank size, enter the starting and ending tank pressure for each dive, go to the information tab and you will see everything you need: dive time, max depth, average depth (this is a time-weighted average of the depth taken every 20 seconds), SAC, water temperature, and more plus a slick graphic of your dive. If you want to use subsurface as your dive log, you can also add the equipment you used on each dive, the dive location, divemaster, and any other notes or media you like. Takes me 5 minutes to download my dives.
I use Subsurface as well.

Tried the Cressi software once and instantly regretted it. Really not a great program to use and has a fraction of the features of Subsurface.

Other great thing about Subsurface that it is, assuming an internet connection, you can upload (and download dives from the cloud) which means you can always find that dive you did in a certain location or with a certain buddy. Can look up my dives on my phone on a dive boat if need be (assuming connection).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom