Calculation on having ENOUGH air for DECO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likewise, I'd mentioned advanced nitrox and decompression procedures as I've seen them bundled together and I think the skills and material complement each other

They have to be bundled together, as Advanced Nitrox alone trains and qualifies the diver for nothing beyond gas use. . . . gas use that's irrelevant without a deco context.

The OP wants to complete minimal deco within recreational ranges without investment in full technical kit, complex procedures and no need for accelerated deco gasses.

AN/DP is a costly overkill to that goal. A course like Tec40 gives exactly what he needs....keeps the costs down... and doesn't require investment in substantial kit.

Last edited:
Without looking at previous posts or content.

40m is 5 ATA, 20ft stop is 1.6 ATA. = ~3x as much gas use.
Ahhh, I misunderstood. Now I understand. Thanks. Duh.

Decompression (technical) diving training isnt just about kit and tables... find the right instructor and they'll take your whole diving ability and wider understanding to a currently unimaginable level.

+1, exactly!

@DevonDiver my point was to get more training.

Tec 40, an/dp, iantd advanced nitrox, whatever doesn't matter just get the training.

...I am having a hard time wrapping my head around deco & air supply....

When you took your OW course, you were given a small sandbox to play in. It was defined primarily by depth and time (2.8ATA {18m/60ft}, no deco). To play in a bigger sandbox, you can take AOW, which expands that sandbox a bit bigger (4-5ATA {30m/100ft - 40m/130ft} depending on how you read it, still no deco, but learned what to do incase of getting to the last pressure group for the depth on the table.... at least back in the table days).

Specialty classes get you new tools (toys) to play in the sandbox (i.e. Nitrox, Zombie Diver, etc), and some also expand its size even further (i.e. Deep Diver).

You're currently looking at someone else's sandbox going, 'Hey, how do you do that?/I wanna do that!' You can get quite a few answers that you can take, and hopefully not apply (like, 'oh a little deco is ok, just make sure you have a big enough tank' ... kinda like back on OW when they say, always make sure you have 500psi when you get back to the boat/shore ... but don't actually teach you how to do it properly).

There are many sandboxes out there, each have similar, but uniquely their own ways to get into their respective sandbox. Some may not be right for you, some may be the ticket.

So how deep do you want to go? How much deco would you like to do? What kind of breathing gases do you want to use/need? Warm water? Cold water? Narcosis? Gas density? are some of the questions you have to ask yourself (or others)

So figure out who's sandbox you want to play in, and take their course.

_R

mmmm is this the beginners or basic diving forum? No... check!! I can say whatever garbage I want :)

To captain Mikey... you go balls out man... take that S80 single alu tank, make sure you have enough leadweight, and just drop down... and go DEEEEP ... so deeep that you start hearing the WAHWAH. The air is thick down deep... it feels like you are inhaling liquid instead of a gas.

You drop to the bottom and see this alluring wreck... there's a big hole in it and it would be so coool to just enter... what a story that would be. So you enter, you drop down into the wreck, you follow a corridor and then down some stair... in a side alley you see a big lobster in a hole... what a story that would be, if I can catch this bloody lobster on my first serious wreck dive... you go in and pull out the lobster... YES... you turn around and it's totally black... all vis is gone, and I'm in a wreck... you drop the lobster put your manometer right up to your mask and it reads 500psi. You now have 5 minutes to exit the wreck and get back to the surface.

Some artistic license applied... however I did do a north sea wreck penetration on my first wreck dive with a single tank (15L so a bit bigger than the standard 80 cuft) and I did catch a lobster. Don't do what I did... be smart... listen to Devon and NWGrateful. Good advice there.

In the end what I see is that less experienced divers focus a lot onDECO... instead of gas management. Deco can harm you, but not being able to breath will harm you more and quicker.

Next to be honest looking at your profile I'm not sure with just 30-50 dives in and 2 years of experience (that's not a lot of diving in 2 years) that you are ready for deep(ish) wreck diving... of course I don't know you and you make your own decision but I would take babysteps.

Cheers

B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom