Calf cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No caffeine before diving, don’t overdue the water intake, drink tomato juice, or get some stewed tomatoes, or sun dried tomatoes
I've often heard to remain well hydrated to avoid cramping during dives, but I suppose you can overdo it with water and other non-caffeine/alcohol drinks. Can too much water actually lead TO cramping?

I've often heard to remain well hydrated to avoid cramping during dives, but I suppose you can overdo it with water and other non-caffeine/alcohol drinks. Can too much water actually lead TO cramping?
Apparently it can do if you manage to lower the quantity of sodium in your body (I just googled it)

... I am not talking about pelvic cramps from drinking before to jump in a drysuit without pee valve :p

a) Yes: wash out enough potassium/calcium/magnesium out of your body and b) overhydration is associated with IPE in triathletes (but keep in mind those guys "pre-hydrate" for a very long and grueling race so our "too much" probably isn't anywhere near theirs).

I used to cramp-up during the latter part of dives.

I figured it was a mineral deficiency. I take an Airborne or Emergency in the morning before dives. It seems to help. If it does not help something else is (I don't think I have changed my eating or water ingestion habits to speak of).

I try to drink water that has an acceptable PH balance.

cheers,
m

For me, it's all about water. I tend to not get enough water when flying - I don't like to use the toilets on airplanes - and pay the price on the first day at our destination. All the bananas in the world won't help me if I don't drink enough water.

Caffeine dehydrates not as bad as alcohol but still does. Dehydration is a leading cause of cramps

So thought I would provide an update. Have had a couple of dives this season since asking this question. Both off my boat and a shore dive. I nixed my morning coffee and drank water instead and start drinking a bunch of water starting the day before I know I am going to go diving. No issues since. So thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom