Calibration issue on OCi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am having problems calibrating my OCi dive computer.
  • When I access the compass calibration menu and rotate the computer 360, it only registers about half a turn on the progress indicator - dotted circle in the center of the screen
  • I've tried to do the calibration indoors/outdoors and in various locations but it never completes the dotted circle and I cannot get out of the CALibration menu to use the compass based on the last successful CAL
  • I am able to get out of the compass menu back to the main menus
  • Everything else seems to work
  • It has not yet been wet but it linked fine yesterday when I was at the dive shop and we had my regs and transmitter pressurized
I tried to call Huish customer tech support but was disconnected after a message played indicating that the user's mailbox was full and could not take any messages.

I've sent a request in to Oceanic via their support portal "Contact Us" page.

Any thoughts (besides 'Sell it and buy a Teric') ?

See my thread in this forum as well. This lack of customer service seems standard with them now, so I wouldn't hold your breath on anyone ever getting back to you.
I thought I had done all my homework on Oceanic and their support but with Huish acquiring them it looks like maybe their customer support has gone by the wayside. I was probably going to get an analog compass for any diving that requires significant navigation but I'd at least like to be able to set a heading and the return heading for simpler dives just needed the route back.

I'll go read your thread. Thanks.

EDIT: I don't see a thread you created for OCi or Huish. Were you just referring to the Huish customer service thread that you commented on or am I missing a specific thread you started about OCi/Compass/Huish?

Hey,
I assume you read the procedure in the manual? There are time constraints for making a full 360 rotation. Rotation about the z axis only.
I would go back to the dive shop to see if they can help you out.

Hey,
I assume you read the procedure in the manual? There are time constraints for making a full 360 rotation. Rotation about the z axis only.
I would go back to the dive shop to see if they can help you out.
Yes, I've read the manual and adhered to the z axis only as well as the 30 second 360 rotation recommendation (not to exceed 60 seconds or it resets).
I agree with your assessment about going back to the dive shop.

I'll report back if/when I get resolution to let everyone know (who may have the issue in the future) what the shop and/or Huish have to say about it.

Update - a little late but just wanted to keep this post updated until I get through this issue:

Contacted both Huish Outdoors and the shop.

Shop said they'd handle it but would be sending back to Huish under warranty
Asked shop if it would be a faster turn around to just sent to Huish and they said yes.

Have an RMA from Huish and the computer is boxed up and I'll take it to UPS later this week.

Not sure how long it will take to get back but will have to rent a computer in the meantime (not an issue).

I'll update again once I have more info about what Huish determines after inspection.

UPDATE: just received a brand new OCi from Huish as a replacement for the defective one I sent in for warranty repair. Not the fastest turn around but at least they took care of me.

Back
Top Bottom