California Classifies Lead "Hazardous Material"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As of January 1st, 2010, lead is being classified as an hazardous material. Tire weights now have to be steel, and all old lead weights have to be recycled and documented that they did. I have gone to multiple tire shops in the last couple days to find lead to melt into weights, but all i have gotten the big :no:

More insanity.

More insanity.
Maybe what you don't realize, living out in the boonies as you apparently do, is that everything that goes onto the street or into the gutter here eventually finds its way into California's coastal waterways via the storm drain system. Further, there are over 2000 water bodies in California that have been identified as being impaired for heavy metals, lead being one of them. So eliminating what is undoubtably a source of pollution is not "insanity", it is California once again leading the way towards responsible environmental stewardship.

The dangers of lead have been greatly exaggerated. The thing is, a person really has to work hard to get to enough lead in their system to pose a hazard.

Until I see people gnawing on lead weights on a regular basis, I just don't think I'll regard them as a public health hazard.

Lead's pretty much the same stuff whether one lives in the boonies or is one of them genius city slicker types.

Lead was used in paint for tens if not over a hundred years. People weren't dying left and right.. I tend to agree with Netim on this. Its like most everything. Too much exposure is bad. Occasional exposure isn't too bad. Lead is great for weights. Its density let you pack alot of weight into a small area, so its the best option for us to use.

I only use rubber coated weights with the mold holes sealed with urethane cement. This way I don't have to worry about lead contamination on my dive gear, car, and home. A bit more expensive, yes, but I feel it's worth it. A friend of mine is now thinking of starting a DIY production of coated lead weights and beating the store price on these.

Handling lead then eating, drinking or smoking is a no no.

Handling lead then eating, drinking or smoking is a no no.

I wouldn't worry about the lead if you've been smoking long enough!:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom