California Lake Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertarak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Is there any good lake diving in So Cal? Where is it legal? Where is it not?
I have a small boat (18" Stingray) and love beiing on the lakes. Now that I am getting into scuba I am wondering if I can combine the two.

You might want to do a search -- I remember this being discussed a while ago, and from what I recall, the results weren't all that promising. During my rescue class, waves were projected to be big, and we were threatened with the possibility of Lake Perris for day #2. Fortunately, seas subsided enough that it was deemed unnecessary.

Lake Perris is a cess pool. I was forced to do day 2 of my IE there. ugh. Never again.

Lake Tahoe is a popular inland dive location.

Now why would anyone want to dive in a lake when there's a thousand plus miles of perfectly good ocean to explore?

I've heard some divers do Lake Tahoe. However, it (like most natural lakes in California that might be diveable) is at altitude which poses an additional issue.

rakkis:
Lake Perris is a cess pool. I was forced to do day 2 of my IE there. ugh. Never again.

Uh huh... I had to do my checkouts in OW there a couple years back... Lovely place (not!).

Head out to Tahoe or Lake Mead (in vegas)- I think those are your only 2 "local" best bets...

drbill:
Now why would anyone want to dive in a lake when there's a thousand plus miles of perfectly good ocean to explore?

I've heard some divers do Lake Tahoe. However, it (like most natural lakes in California that might be diveable) is at altitude which poses an additional issue.

Oh drbill, I only have the lake boat at the moment, but that too will change. I will be diving Catalina often, and will be coming out on the KN shorty (made my reservation this morning). Thanx for all your help.

I have heard of drift dives below Hoover dam, I have been wanting to do that but just haven't figured it out logisticly. I wanted to have my buddy launch his pontoon boat and keep an eye out while I dove, and, so I had something to climb back in on after the dive was done. Better bring a 7mm wetsuit or drysuit. I think the water is 52 degrees coming out of the bottom of the dam.

Arguabley Lake Mohave (Laughlin area) & Lake Mead (vegas area) probably are the best diving lake in the AZ/NV area for recreational divers. Lake Mead offers some deep enticements for the technical crowd. (Both are altitude dives)

As someone who dives a lake regularly (Lake Pleasant, Phoenix area) I have to agree whole heartedley with Dr. B
Dr Bill:

I wouldn't mind diving Lake Tahoe if the opportunity presented itself though.

-Garrett

i did 10 dives in tahoe this summer and it was like being on the moon, not much to see but lots of old trees and its a long long drive. we checked with the local dive shop and they told us where to go. 10 dive all over the lake and i seen 1 fish..:( if you go there do the the Rubicon wall and Emerald Bay Historic Barges. dont forget its a altitude dive so do ur homework.
IMG_0476.jpg

barge.gif

Back
Top Bottom