Calling Dr. Rich

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might give that a try at some point. The reason I'm considering the keys is that I can get a direct round trip flight to Ft. Lauderdale for just under $200 from Albany (my home airport). A direct flight with no customs to clear sounds pretty good.

That's exactly why we fly into FLL, it's direct, short, cheap, and convenient. Especially when you compare it to 12-14 hour trips to the Caribbean that include at least one stop-over where you have to reclaim bags, and on the way back go through immigration and customs. To me the diving isn't so much better in those harder to reach places than it is in Florida that makes it worth the extra hassle except for maybe once per year.

The upper Keys are about 1.5 hours from FLL maybe longer with traffic. To get to Key West figure 2.5 hours and the only diving worth doing IMHO is the V-berg which again to me, is a do it once then don't bother with the long drive. Boynton and West Palm are about an hour.

In that case, having dived in Florida from Key West through West Palm beach, I'll second Dr. Rich's comments about Conch Republic Divers, they're a great little operation and they'll get you to the best places. Since they're about 15 minutes south of Ley Largo they're in a better position to get to the 4 big wrecks in the upper Keys if that's what you're looking to do. Rainbow Reef is the other end of the size scale as I said, there will be people and boats all over the place, not that it's a bad thing, more a matter of your personal taste. Rainbow Reef has an extensive website with an online calendar showing where all the boats are headed, Conch Divers is simply a call to Brenda who is usually standing by in the office ready to help you plan your trip.

Having done the Keys through West Palm I'll add that I prefer West Palm diving and we're headed there in 3 weeks to drift dive on wrecks. We fly into Fort Lauderdale and make the 45 minute drive north. There are no coral reefs north of Fort Lauderdale, more like rock piles and ledges with corals growing on them but my experience has been a lot more fish, a lot more bigger stuff like sharks and goliath groupers and of course the wrecks, you can see as many as 4 in one single drift dive.

Weather can always be a factor everywhere offshore, I've lost chunks of diving time on many trips to Florida. It's the nature of the sport, so be prepared with alternate activities. I always heavily book my diving knowing I'll probably lose some dives along the way and the worst that can happen is I do a lot of diving!

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to say that I am not at all into wrecks, or for that matter deep dives. I've done both. They just didn't ring my chimes. I'm much more into marine life, especially stuff that moves. Hard & soft coral is mostly background to me. And I don't get off trying to find macro stuff hidden in the soft coral. Maybe I haven't done enough diving yet to need something more - but the fishes, rays, crabs & shrimp, etc. still dazzle me.

I think shore diving Bonaire has gotten too sterenuous for me to make it worth the trip.I'm thinking that a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale, renting a car, and driving to Key Largo to boat dive mornings and be a tourist afternoons might be good.

I know you have much experience with diving Key largo and with dive operations there as well as accommodations in that area. Tips please - especially when to go and times to avoid.

My latest trip to Bonaire was a disaster because I had no idea (my bad) how cold the water would be and how much wind would prevent diving and cause terrible visibility.
I've been to the keys a number of times.. at least 15 in 5 years. If you can, avoid going down during the winter. At that time of year, folks from up north come down in droves. You end up with crowded boats/hotels/restaurants. I try to go late spring, summer, or early fall.

I've been to the keys a number of times.. at least 15 in 5 years. If you can, avoid going down during the winter. At that time of year, folks from up north come down in droves. You end up with crowded boats/hotels/restaurants. I try to go late spring, summer, or early fall.

Thanks - is late spring or early fall more likely to not get blown out? I would assume warmer water in late fall. True?

Thanks - is late spring or early fall more likely to not get blown out? I would assume warmer water in late fall. True?
Unfortunately I can't say when it's more likely to be blown out as I don't think I've ever missed a dive due to weather in the keys. Fall will have warmer water. The water down there is pretty comfortable almost year round because it's right in the gulf stream.

Key Largo is the more popular key for dive trips, but I've also had a great dive trip diving from Marathon. IMO the diving was just as good there.

There is no shore diving worth mentioning in the keys (that I've found). I've tried and tried. There is a shore dive you can do in John Pennekamp state park, but it sucks. There is a shore dive in Bahia Honda state park as well. It's better than pennekamp. Personally, I prefer snorkeling those sites as they're so shallow and sandy it's not worth the trouble of gearing up.

Unfortunately I can't say when it's more likely to be blown out as I don't think I've ever missed a dive due to weather in the keys. Fall will have warmer water. The water down there is pretty comfortable almost year round because it's right in the gulf stream.

Key Largo is the more popular key for dive trips, but I've also had a great dive trip diving from Marathon. IMO the diving was just as good there.

There is no shore diving worth mentioning in the keys (that I've found). I've tried and tried. There is a shore dive you can do in John Pennekamp state park, but it sucks. There is a shore dive in Bahia Honda state park as well. It's better than pennekamp. Personally, I prefer snorkeling those sites as they're so shallow and sandy it's not worth the trouble of gearing up.

It's been awhile since we've dived the Keys and I agree that the shore dives are not very exciting, but in the past we sometimes took advantage of the opportunity to test our gear and refresh our skills with a shore dive before getting on a dive boat. The boat rides can be a bit long and it stinks to get out to the reef and discover a gear problem.

@Kharon if you like a lot of fish life then the Keys is a good choice for you. The reefs and corals are not as nice as you will see in the Caribbean but there is usually loads of great sea life around to enjoy - at least that's how I remember it.

The water is rather cold in the winter and spring IMO, colder than you are used to in Bonaire anyway, check the average sea temperature charts by month. The water is warmer in the summer and fall, but we have gotten winded out a few times during the hurricane season. Maybe early summer would be the best time for you?

There's a lot of other stuff to do in Florida if you do get winded out, but of course it is disappointing if you went there to dive.

I've never been to Bonaire. The keys tend to be a bit more expensive than the Carribean destinations I have been to (Cozumel, Roatan). That's mostly because 1. Hotels are more expensive unless you go with a cheapie, and 2. It's generally not AI so you're buying meals out (unless you get a room with a stove).

"Key West Inn" in Key largo is pretty inexpensive and has a kitchen if you want to save money.

When I go to the keys, I'd spend more in 7 days in the keys than I would to travel to Cozumel for 7 days (including travel costs).

On the other hand, I find beds in FL keys hotels to be much more comfortable. For whatever reason, Caribbean destinations tend to use very hard/firm beds which hurt the 'ol back.

A car would be very useful in Key Largo. I always just drive down there. The one time we tried to get a taxi late at night from a restaurant to our hotel, we had several taxi operators simply tell us "no" when we called them because it was late (it was around 9pm). Luckily there was a big enough group and we split a limo 8 ways which ended up costing under $20 each. Public (land) transport in the keys kind of sucks. Maybe uber drivers are more available now? Last time I tried Uber in Key West there were zero rides available (but key west has an abundance of regular taxis).

I've never been to Bonaire. The keys tend to be a bit more expensive than the Carribean destinations I have been to (Cozumel, Roatan). That's mostly because 1. Hotels are more expensive unless you go with a cheapie, and 2. It's generally not AI so you're buying meals out (unless you get a room with a stove).

Not when you look at the whole picture. Getting to the Caribbean is going to cost a lot more in airfare. Marina Del Mar in Key Largo is a great deal at about $100 per nite including a continental breakfast you won't be spending much less than that in the Caribbean. There are tons of places to eat in the Keys for a reasonable price but like anywhere else if you choose to go high end you're gonna spend.

AI is another matter entirely, I'd never do it- too much food and drink, usually less quality, none of the culture you get with eating at local restaurants and tends to cost more than ala carte eating especially if you do some meals on your own in a vacation rental.

My wife & I are headed to Key Largo area for 4 days diving at the end of October. We were leaning towards diving with Rainbow Reef. We asked if there were lockers or anywhere to store our wetsuits & BCs between days and were told no.

So now I'm curious what everyone does with their wet wetsuits & BC's in the evenings. Is this a common practice for the dive shops in the Florida area not to offer a place to put your wet items between days?. Every other place we've travel to always had some area or lockers to store your wet items between days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom