Calm-headed response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Full time divemaster and pretty comfortable, and thought he maybe could fix it. He totally had everything under control.

so many times we see a rush to the surface when not needed. This is what in water comfort and confidence leads to, the ability to think thru issues.

and yet another bump for pony bottles.... do we know if it was just an extruded oring at the connection or was it some other failure?

and yet another bump for pony bottles.... do we know if it was just an extruded oring at the connection or was it some other failure?
he didn't need a pony, his skills and diving with others mitigated the failure. Plus, even with the leak, he had enough gas to make the roof in a controlled assent. Recreational diving is cool that way actually.

he didn't need a pony, his skills and diving with others mitigated the failure. Plus, even with the leak, he had enough gas to make the roof in a controlled assent. Recreational diving is cool that way actually.
Holy Crap! That was actually enjoyable to watch. Agreed. For him with these dives, a pony would be no benefit.

Looks like a dislodged O-ring, maybe the hand wheel was loose. From his earlier actions, I was half expecting him to try to re-seat it after he shut the valve down. Finding an alternate air source and bolting to the surface has always been ingrained during open water training.

Good to see he didn't panic, really nice to see people who can maintain a level head and stay calm. Panic really messes people up. On an ascent up the anchor line in NC last year a diver my buddy and I were at roughly 40 feet (going from memory) when a diver swam down the anchor line to us, reg out of mouth, and signaled OOA. All fine up to this point, but immediately after signaling OOA he swam right past us and kept going down the line another 20-25 feet to what I believe was his original buddy. It still confuses me that he swam past two divers with plenty to breathe (my buddy was in sidemount and I had a steel 100 and a 40 pony...) to get to what I can only assume was someone he knew would be willing to help/share with him? I didn't want to bring it up when we got back in the boat as he was with a group but now wish I would have.

Not only was he calm and composed that translated to his buddies being calm and composed. One buddy stayed with him to render assistance and the other was calm enough to keep recording and not drop the camera and ‘freak out’. Calmness is as infectious as panic.

On a side note what was with the baby shark float attached to his BCD?

Not only was he calm and composed that translated to his buddies being calm and composed. One buddy stayed with him to render assistance and the other was calm enough to keep recording and not drop the camera and ‘freak out’. Calmness is as infectious as panic.

On a side note what was with the baby shark float attached to his BCD?

This is very true.

As far as the shark float, I have seen that a few times in the Caribbean where the DM will have something similar attached so that divers can identify them underwater easily.

This is very true.

As far as the shark float, I have seen that a few times in the Caribbean where the DM will have something similar attached so that divers can identify them underwater easily.
i used lime green fins with L and R marked on them, then wore the R on my left foot and L on my right, along with a bright lime green wetsuit, my divers knew what I looked like

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom