Calodyne, Mauritius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have to travel to Mauritius on business and I will be "stuck" in Calodyne, Mauritius over a weekend.

Any recommendations for diving / dive ops?

Giving this a quick bump before I head off. Any suggestions?

Well, just to reply to my own question (having now returned), we ended up diving with an operation called "Just Diving" (www.justdiving.net). I was told by one of the locals that these guys were by some way the most reputable dive op on the West coast of Mauritius - other dive ops were plagued with reputations of not cleaning air filters, and divers getting chronic headaches. So that was lucky - even a stopped watch is right twice a day I guess.

However, they are very French, and as such are not even capable of organising the proverbial piss-up in a brewery. Supposedly they do three dives a day: 6.30am (not a typo), 8.30am and 11.20am with an optional afternoon dive depending upon demand. Although I had intended to do three dives on Saturday and two on Sunday I ended up being able to do just one each day. On Saturday they didn't even show up until nearly 9.30am. Hey, they are French. What can you say? Curiously though, they were extremely safety conscious, which hasn't always been my experience with French divers. They were absolutely militant about the 60 ft / 18m depth limit where we had basic open water divers, to the extent that they stop the dive until everyone has corrected their depth a few feet to be above the ceiling. Very un-French. I guess that is American world influence in action for you.

Overall I would have to say I felt the quality of diving in Mauritius (as far as one can tell after only two dives....) seemed weak. Water was nice and clear, but very little coral or marine life. Water was also surprisingly chilly given how hot it was topside (being in the southern hemisphere, I was there at the height of summer). I would probably rank it as a 3 on the patented Rhone Man scale. I wasn't able to do one of their "shark safaris" and I may have held the destination in higher regard if I had been able to do that.

RM_Dive_Destination_Guide.GIF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom