Calvert Cliffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwbdiver

New
Reaction score
I recall seeing a thread about fossil diving at Calvert Cliffs, MD. Has anyone had any experience with the site? We'll be in the area mid June, and are considering a dive or two while passing through on our boat. I'm wondering about visibility, currents, bottom, and what depth may yield fossils? Any info is appreciated, I'm new to the forum and am just getting used to navigating around the postings.

My dad has several sharks teeth and whale vertabrate that he collected there in the 70's. Most of this diving is done in shallow water (4-10') near shore and with minimal vis. I'm trying to get a lead on a good site, the one he used is now a private beach.

jamiep3:
...I'm trying to get a lead on a good site, the one he used is now a private beach.
We went there last year looking to do some diving. It appears that everything around there is now private beach. Sucks.

Chris

I think you can still get in at the park. I frequent the dive shop in Solomons, if anybody is interested in doing a Saturday or Sunday Dive, I'll try to locate a spot.

jamiep3:
I think you can still get in at the park. I frequent the dive shop in Solomons, if anybody is interested in doing a Saturday or Sunday Dive, I'll try to locate a spot.

I'd be interested. If you can get in at the park, keep in mind that it will be a long hike to the beach. It is 1.8 miles from the regular parking lot to the beach and the day use area is closed right now so you'd have to park in the hunting parking lot. I can't remember exactly where that is located but I guess that would add a little more distance.

Jackie Cooper

Bumping this to see if anyone has dived off Calvert Cliffs or any of the surrounding beaches recently.

I’ve had success fossil hunting from shore at a few of the area beaches (ex. Calvert/Matoaka, Brownie Beach, and Westmoreland).

Access to the beaches does not appear to be an issue at this point. Ex. Matoaka Cabins overlooking Calvert Cliffs. Pay $5 at their office and you get access to the beach for the day. It was ~$15 at Brownie. While Brownie was more pricey, I found a bunch more teeth there.

You’d want a cart to get your gear to the water from Matoaka (steep trail to beach) or Westmoreland. From the parking area at Brownies...you might be able to walk it in (it was maybe a quarter mile to the beach).

Just thought It might be interesting mucking about with the gear on. I’m sure the vis will suck. Just curious if anyone has had luck diving off the beaches. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom