Calypso IV unable to adjust IP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have three Calypso IV, one with the J mechanism. Two are presently in service.

The adjustment screw is a fine adjust and will only change the IP by around 15-20 PSI over its entire travel. Coarse adjustment is with shims. Adding shims increases IP.

If you're getting 170 PSI then I would check for corrosion, unwanted shims, or other foreign material that might be keeping the mainspring from seating on the housing. The shims ordinarily used are very thin, around 0.010", and make around a 15 PSI change in IP, so it does not take much to affect IP. If there are no obvious culprits I would try a different main spring, and failing that, a new piston or housing.

Used Calypso IVs are abundant so you should have no trouble finding one for parts.

Update: The regulator now performs correctly after replacing the seat. I also installed the castle spacer per the service bulletin. Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom