Cam buckle Poll

Which style cam buckle do you prefer?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hex92

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week when getting my gear ready for a dive I broke one of the plastic cam buckles on my DR Transpac. Luckily my g/f wasn't diving with me so I took one off her BC so I could go on my dive. So I need to buy a replacement strap(s). The ones I am considering are either the stainless steel cam buckles, or the scubapro style hinged buckles. Both can be seen here .

So which style do yall prefer?

I use the SS ones from DR, i have spare plastic ones, but i dont like those ScubaPro ones, they just seem kind of flimsy - i had to re-buckle one for another diver at 60ft the other week, it didnt look solid even then.

hex92:
Last week when getting my gear ready for a dive I broke one of the plastic cam buckles on my DR Transpac. Luckily my g/f wasn't diving with me so I took one off her BC so I could go on my dive. So I need to buy a replacement strap(s). The ones I am considering are either the stainless steel cam buckles, or the scubapro style hinged buckles. Both can be seen here .

So which style do yall prefer?

Hex,

It actually requires very little tension in the camstrap to retain a tank. The problem is that because there is no compliance (springy-ness) in the system, and straps stretch, and tanks get smaller when empty, people tighten the straps to the point of buckle failure.

I just happen to make a little squishy pad that threads onto your camstrap. When you close the strap it is compressed, and it will rebound as the tank gets smaller and the strap stretches. It makes the straps hold on like crazy.

It also greatly limits the max load you can impose on the buckle, and it makes closing the the buckle much easier, no more broken buckles.

Some metal can damage the finish on tanks, as the end of the buckle contacts the tank as you cam it closed.

I've offered pairs of these pads to SB members before, and if you send me your address in a PM I'll send you a pair N/C.

I'd list a link with a pic, but apparently our server is down.

Regards,

Tobin

I think the DR stainless steel buckles are the best on the market. I've used the ScubaPro buckles, and although they work great, they're a pain to adjust for different diameter cylinders (i.e. if you're switching from a 8" LP95 to a 7-1/4" AL80).

Tobin's little squishy pads work great ... I got a couple to give to friends who own single-strap BCDs, and they no longer have issues with tank slippage.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with Bob, the DR bands are awesome, they even have a little pad to protect the finish on your tanks (even though it should be galv or brushed anyway :eyebrow: )

The ScubaPro ones are a pain, they make it harder to put your BC on your tank and they are wicked difficult to adjust for different tank sizes.

I use the DR stainless steel cams as well, but keep a couple of plastic ones as backups (for my buddies who use plastic ones - lol) I picked up a set of double cam bands from Triple-L, cut and re-stiched them shorter for a very inexpensive backup set. ($9 per pair + shipping)

Tim

Hi,

The NEW style ScubaPro buckles are lots easier to adjust, the part you grab is on the outside not the inside of the loop. I like these over the other styles, and find them easy to adjust between different tank diameters. The OLD style ones were a pain in the butt, but I still liked them over the cam style (but only slightly).

Mark Vlahos

Currently using the plastic ones, but SS are comming soon.

SP, I used them once and never like the feeling.

Has anyone ever had a plastic buckle break when it wasn't like, frozen brittle from cold? I used to have one brand of SS buckles that scratched the **** out of tanks, I used to line the tank with ducttape to prevent it. I'm currently using plastic buckles with no problems, but I have easy access (funny about that) to a new brand of SS buckle that look like they won't scratch the tanks. Thinking of switching, simply because it could mean another 1-1.5lb of integrated weight on the rig (they're heavy buckles - each strap weighs about 13oz.).

OTOH I wouldn't want SS buckles on a travel rig - there the weight is working against you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom