Camera Insurance - Please Read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Guys,

Like a lot of you, I've got a fair bit of cash invested in my camera equipment, and insurance is a major concern

There are numerous threads in this forum, including the current one in which DEPP is getting blasted.

For someone trying to navigate the maze of who to go for, local benefits, can I get this insurance from where I live outside US, etc. etc., it's pretty daunting, especially for someone doing it for the first time.

I'm suggesting putting all these threads in a single dedicated forum, so that questions can get answered in the same way as they would be if you asked a Nikon-related question in the Nikon Niche sub-forum.

Simply put, it would make finding answers easier, and less daunting.

One other potential advantage is that rather than a few threads crying in the wilderness, a dedicated area for discussing who's good and who's not might encourage the insuring companies to indulge in a bit of dialogue with the consumers. Namely us. Failure to do so could hit their profits.

I've put up a thread in the site support area, but would like to gauge the opinion of anyone else who might me interested.

The link's here

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Larry

I am in the Insurance field.

What I would suggest anyone do when faced with this would be to contact their "home insurance" provider. You can usually schedule the equipment separately on your home policy with it's own deductible (different from your standard deductible) and covered for the same perils as your home. Just for the record I am in Canada and am unfamiliar with US insurance procedures.

Make sure you get clarification from your insurance agent as to exactly what your equipment is covered for. Get a printout of the wording.

I am in the Insurance field.

What I would suggest anyone do when faced with this would be to contact their "home insurance" provider. You can usually schedule the equipment separately on your home policy with it's own deductible (different from your standard deductible) and covered for the same perils as your home. Just for the record I am in Canada and am unfamiliar with US insurance procedures.

Make sure you get clarification from your insurance agent as to exactly what your equipment is covered for. Get a printout of the wording.

I am also in the insurance business and have been for about 25 years. The problem with most HO policies is that there are very few that will cover the rig for flooding. I have heard there are a few that do but again, your advice of a specific discussion with your agent is required. I no longer write my own HO coverage, Farmers Ins does and they do not offer such a policy rider. My coverage used to be with Hartford Insurance and they did not offer it either (flood).

I've checked with my H.O. insurance agent, and they too don't cover "flooding", but I am covered ($500 deductible) should my camera rig "fall off the boat to the bottom of the ocean, never to be seen again" or get "eaten by a fish or a shark" or "accidently drop". There's a message here. :wink: I'm just saying what my agent told me. :wink: Yes they can schedule said equipment, but that means more money out of pocket to me. $500 deductible against $4k to replace, I'm comfortable with that. All in all I'm surprised more divers don't just schedule their equipment with HO or Renters insurance instead of messing around with with these so called "specialty" insurers. FWIW, I've never filed a claim, and I hope it stays that way :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom