Camera often refuses to fire underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thecovetrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Canon Powershot SD550 in the Canon housing (internal strobe). The photos are great - but the camera refuses to fire about a quarter of the time when it's underwater. The flash lightning bolt flashes on the display. After a few tries it fires - usually.

Is this a function of the camera not being able to focus? It only happens underwater. But I've had it happen snorkeling in 80-degree water and 120 feet deep 45-degree water, so I'm guessing it's not a temperature or pressure thing.

Any ideas or suggestions?

probably because you need to change the settings to make it fire everytime not only when the camera feels that it is necessary...i.e take it off the auto setting...you should see a permanent lightening bolt on the screen and the flash will fire everytime

It's not just the flash that won't fire - it's the shutter!

I have the flash set to 'on' - it's on underwater 'scene' mode but I have some manual power over it.

I just called Canon - they said it's probably happening as the battery drains. They said the battery is supposed to hold up for 100 photos, assuming 20 of those are flash photos. If I'm using the flash constantly, they said, I can expect poorer battery life - and more time for the battery to recharge the flash between photos. Makes sense. (Also makes me want to buy a camera that holds up better on a battery charge.)

the camera refuses to fire about a quarter of the time when it's underwater. The flash lightning bolt flashes on the display. After a few tries it fires - usually.

My underwater camera is four years old, and the housing hasn't been serviced for two. (I keep telling myself that it's time to buy a new one, but diving trips have higher priority.)

My previous underwater was large, so anything below 5 m distorted the "fit" between the housing plungers and the camera buttons. After four rounds of "your putting the camera in round" and factory testing, I bought a new camera, and the manufacturer gave me the housing, gratis.

They said the battery is supposed to hold up for 100 photos, assuming 20 of those are flash photos.

Hmm. My Olympus black Li-ion blocks are only good for two dives. I've learned to change batteries for the third dive of the day.

But that's with the LCD screen turned for the bulk of those 80 minutes and with flash for at least 80% of the time. (The water here's too murky for wide angle shots, so we concentrate on close-ups.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom