Camera Suggestions for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akcharger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good day

I'm heading to Truk in Sept but don't have any camera's except an ANCIENT go pro. I really don't see underwater photography becoming my new "thing" so looking for minimal expense camera that will still take OK photos down to 180ft.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!

180ft? Lighting and light sensitivity of the sensor is going to be of prime importance, as well as the obvious depth rating of the camera housing and said lights. I have a TG-4 with housing and < 20-30ft you need lights to get good images. I have a simple S&S light kit that came with a tray, arm and strobe. Costs were something like $300 for the camera, $300 for the case, and $300 for the strobe kit. Works really well, but not down to 180ft, think the max is maybe 150 or so if I remember correctly. The Sony camera's have a larger sensor size and may offer better ISO range so won't need as much light. Mirrorless DSLR's even more so, but then you're not in the minimal expense area.

Good day

I'm heading to Truk in Sept but don't have any camera's except an ANCIENT go pro. I really don't see underwater photography becoming my new "thing" so looking for minimal expense camera that will still take OK photos down to 180ft.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Light will be the biggest issue at 180ft, so whatever camera you decide on, allow some extra cash for appropriate lighting.

As others have said, the camera is going to be minor. Spend the money on lights. Your ancient GoPro might do well with lots of lumens....

+1 for Cali

Forego the photography

Pics are tougher since you'd ideally want a strobe that is synced to your camera. That won't work with a GoPro. But for video, a GoPro and lights can be great for what you're wanting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom