Camera upgrade or video lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blenny84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

So not sure what to do next and need some advice from the more experienced folks around here.

I upgraded from a GoproHero4 Black to a Sony RX100 Mk2 on a cheap ebay 2nd hand Meikon housing about a year ago and I am really happy with the results. I also bought the Meikon wide lense corrector which is 'ok' albeit some noticeable distortion on the corners, all in all happy for some holiday videos.
I also have an Inon 165 lens for macro.

I now want to improve what I have and these are the things I am considering:

Keep the camera and buy a better housing - Recsea or Nauticam (2nd hand) as I am struggling a bit with the Meikon in terms of not seeing when I am in focus through the screen which is a combination of polycarbonate material and the gap between the housing and the camera screen which is 1 inch or so.

Keep all I have and buy 1 video light or 2 - any recommendations for video lights apart from 120 beam angle?

Upgrade to a Sony Rx100 IV on a cheap meikon housing (ebay 2nd hand)- will have no money left for lights or anything else.

I am also looking at the Lumix Lx10/15 as reviews indicate the video is amazing, not too fussed about stills at the moment.

My latest videos with my current setup - sony rx100 mk2, meikon wide lense dome, natural light.
Still have lots to learn, exposure is not good and did not have the macro lense for some small critters etc but working on it

- Diving Negros Oriental - Philippines
- BSAC No1 Lundy 2018

Thoughts?

Cheers

IMHO lights would be the best bet to improve video. They may even make checking focus through your current rig easier.

You might find a used Fantasea housing that would be much cheaper than the Nauticam, but still an upgrade over Meikon.

I doubt you'll see much diffference between the RX100 upgrades in the same cheap housing.

I'd go with lights also. Two of them. widest/brightest you can afford. That would have helped in your 2nd video to bring some of the colors back.

Lights of course, the very first step of every videographer.

Thanks guys.
I will invest in a 2nd hand aluminum housing like recsea or nauticam and new video lights then - looking at the Big blue lights at the moment.

New video lights and long arms or you'll tons of backscattering totally ruining your videos.
For the video lights there's two way of thinking: spending big money and go "pro", or go Chinese and have a tons of lumens for cheap.
My idea is: all the torches/lights gonna flood or they will break first or late, so unless you will buy one with life insurance I would go cheap all the way.

I bought two of this (for cheaper than the price listed here, I'm in Europe): https://www.amazon.com/Kinrui-12000LM-Photography-Diving-Flashlight/dp/B076VGMNZR/

They aren't 12K lumens of course.. neither 10, but I can say they are in the range of 8K lumens each (compared with the big brands ones) and the cone is perfect (110°) for video usage (don't use them as torches or ull blind other ppl, they aren't directional).

I'm happy and I own them by 7-8 months (tested up to 50m).

New video lights and long arms or you'll tons of backscattering totally ruining your videos.
For the video lights there's two way of thinking: spending big money and go "pro", or go Chinese and have a tons of lumens for cheap.
My idea is: all the torches/lights gonna flood or they will break first or late, so unless you will buy one with life insurance I would go cheap all the way.

I bought two of this (for cheaper than the price listed here, I'm in Europe): https://www.amazon.com/Kinrui-12000LM-Photography-Diving-Flashlight/dp/B076VGMNZR/

They aren't 12K lumens of course.. neither 10, but I can say they are in the range of 8K lumens each (compared with the big brands ones) and the cone is perfect (110°) for video usage (don't use them as torches or ull blind other ppl, they aren't directional).

I'm happy and I own them by 7-8 months (tested up to 50m).

Thanks for the advice, really helpful. I was asking myself the same question. Cannot get them from Amazon anymore but can get them from here 2017 NEW 10x XM L2+4x R+4x B 12000LM LED Photography Video Scuba Diving Flashlight Torch 726-in LED Flashlights from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group - lights look the same, they are really cheap.

Can you elaborate on "long arms or you'll tons of backscattering totally ruining your videos" - never used lights before so this looks pretty important, how long do the arms need to be? Is this so that the light hits the subject from the sides and not front or top?

The lights appears to be the same, I never bough from Aliexpress, so I dunno how reliable it is (and how fast it is with the shipment).

The arms are needed to place the lights far away from the lens, otherwise the light hitting any particle suspended in the water (unless you dive only in crystal clear water) will be reflected directly to the lens producing a lot of white "dots" totally ruining your videos. The rule is: longer are the arms better it is! But you have to balance the result with the comfort of carrying the whole equipment underwater (and on the ground), I personally have my lights placed at a max distance of 60 cm. on each side (by using 2 arms on each side).
In this pics my arms aren't fully extended due to the walls on my sides, but you get the idea:

HLW5KNT.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom