Cameras On Sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBackpacker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently started diving again after a hiatus of 20 or so years . In the old days cameras on sticks did not exist. In modern diving times I sometimes have cameras on sticks thrust into my field of vision when I am trying(or was trying) to observe something. In addition, I sometimes see divers chase larger animals, poking their camera-on-a-stick as close as possible to the seemingly fleeing turtle, whale shark, or whatever. What is current scuba etiquette for cameras-on-a-stick? Are there any scuba operators that advertise: "no cameras on sticks"? If there are any, I want to dive with their boat. Thanks.

I have recently started diving again after a hiatus of 20 or so years . In the old days cameras on sticks did not exist. In modern diving times I sometimes have cameras on sticks thrust into my field of vision when I am trying(or was trying) to observe something. In addition, I sometimes see divers chase larger animals, poking their camera-on-a-stick as close as possible to the seemingly fleeing turtle, whale shark, or whatever. What is current scuba etiquette for cameras-on-a-stick? Are there any scuba operators that advertise: "no cameras on sticks"? If there are any, I want to dive with their boat. Thanks.

I'm with you on this. You're living in a look-at-me generation now, and personal cameras have invaded a lot of action sports recently. I imagine that these annoying camera people lack etiquette in general and won't be diving long term. Maybe I'm just getting older.

Email the boat staff and express your concerns. Make the case that they're unsafe and harassing marine life.

Annoying for sure but retaliation can be dangerous. A nice chat during the surface interval is worth a try. I try to keep some distance by hanging back with a good buddy. They often zip around a lot so I try to stay back where they forget about me. hmmmm..... ok I admit I have been known to look intently at something (nothing) then gesture excitedly signaling "LOOK LOOK!" After giving up in frustration on a few repeats they ignored what I was doing :)

Selfie sticks should be banned from all boats. If one is shoved in your face, smile and wave politely and swim off.

Last edited:
Camera use can contribute to us forgetting other important aspects of diving. Putting a camera on the end of a pokie stick also unfortunately encourages us to poke with it... I too am not a fan of the annoyance. I have seen a few divers use them well though and exhibited good awareness while still getting shots.

Regards,
Cameron

I think the stick is less of the problem and more of an enabler...People can be idiots with and without sticks, or even cameras...

I recently did a dive where one of the resort's staff sat for 10 minutes taking shots of a potato bass, not letting any other photographers have their turn at a shot...

The wife and I hang back we're an Instr and DM, so are fully confident in ourselves being "away" from the group.

Try get an experienced buddy and just keep as far away from the rest without losing them :p

Selfie sticks should be banned from all boats.

I see cameras on sticks every day, sometimes two or three on a boat at a time. I have never experienced or heard of a problem with them...:poke:

I think the stick is less of the problem and more of an enabler...People can be idiots with and without sticks, or even cameras...

Our private phrase is "go pro brain". Even with well-adjusted and highly competent divers, it rearranges priorities in your brain. The result is a single-minded focus for capturing images of underwater life regardless of other divers, remaining air, or NDL depth. :wink:

I have several 'poles' and rarely use them. I like a tray for good, steady video. Most of the footage I see off of a pole is incredibly unstable and jerky.

As for chasing critters with a camera, that's been around as long as I've been diving. I have seen pro photographers lie all over the reef, move critters around, shove other divers out of the way and generally silt the crap out of an area in pursuit of their perfect shot for decades. You're just noticing this behavior, but it's not new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom