Cameras On Sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I come back to my first post. Even with experienced divers, a stick and GoPro rapidly take over the spatial awareness and brain function.

I think you are on the right track with this. For example, the first time I really got irritated with this issue was last year while snorkeling on Utlila when my excellent view of a whale shark was blocked by the appearance of a stick and camera. The stick and camera person then dove directly down toward the whale shark -- something the dive master just minutes before had explicitly asked us not to do !!! I talked with this young lady on the boat -- she did not seem like a jerk - it was almost like once stick and camera were in hand she was oblivious to everything except getting the footage.

Last edited:
Was just reading our tour info for an upcoming cruise in the Galapogos. Camera sticks are not allowed.

Hopefully that does not mean that monopods are banned

Guilty. And I apologize. I would like to add that it had more to do with being a new diver than it did to having a camera on a stick. Everything underwater was new. Everything had to be recorded. I still take a GoPro with me but I usually forget I have it with me most of the time. As at least one other has said, the camera is just there to record the event to share on facebook. I am there to enjoy the dive.

Would you if you thought it will affect your tip?
It might affect a tip, but in the a well-placed and thoughtful suggestion to a customer should not affect a tip. Its possible that the customer might not realise how their behaviour affects the other divers and the delicate underwater world.

Dive master would be obliged to review etiquette during the briefing. If he knows cameras on stick are a problem,it gets mentioned. After the dive he can remind offenders with no penalty. Bringing it up after the first offense is more problematic, but it depends on the level of tact.

Would you if you thought it will affect your tip?
If the dive master or company consistently ignores this issue, there are plenty of other companies to dive with. In my most recent encounter with a camera/stick diver, the dive master did not mention it in the briefing or afterwards(at least that I'm aware of). If Giffenk's post is correct, apparently some companies are moving to " no sticks allowed".

I think it's simply an issue of camera prices coming down to where just about any diver can afford them. As others have stated, look at the behavior of professional photographers. Some are boy scouts, I'm sure.. I've seen at least two professionals laying all over marine life to get a shot (and I have well under 200 logged dives).

When you dove before, you didn't see this because not every other diver had the bankroll to buy and use underwater photo/video equipment.

Go-pro knockoffs can be had for well under $100 with everything you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom