Can a 2nd sea & sea strobe be triggered by 1st strobe w/o fiber optic cable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I was wondering if a fiber optic cable is needed to trigger a 2nd sea & sea strobe? I was told it is not necessarily, especially on macro shots since the strobes are so close to each other. Even if it work, will the received light be accurate enough for the 2nd strobe to function in DS-TTL mode?

HI-
Yes, a secondary (or sub) strobe can be triggered from the main strobe without a FOC, however, sync reliability and proper metering for DS-TTL can't be assured. If you wish to use DS-TTL, we highly recommend running a cable from the main strobe to the secondary strobe to ensure proper light transmission to the sensor.

How critical is the quality of lighting coming out of the fiber optic cable? I read that someone just trimmed a toslink connector and connected it to the Sea & Sea's strobe and got the strobe to fire, but am not sure if it was in DS-TTL mode. I presume even if the toslink is very inferior, as long as it is consistently inferior, it should be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom