can a panasonic 25mm 1.7 with dry diopter replace a Olympus M.ZUIKO 60mm f2.8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taffynet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
trying to streamline and cut down on gear a bit. am keeping the pan 25 1.7 as i use it a lot on land. wondering about selling 60mm and using diopter with 25mm for macro underwater. i believe the 25mm is too far from the port to use a wet diopter?
have epl5 and pt ep10.
would want 1:1 images but not smaller.

thank you :)

I guess it depends. Why not rent a diopter and test it out? I know there are some out there using Oly 14-42 with diopters and it seems ok. The 60 is a great macro lens but the chase to reduce gear carry is something I can agree with.

One of the longtime photog's here uses the 12-50 with diopters and only the one lens. You can pick these up for 150 so why not sell both and get the 12-50 or keep the 25?

As long as you are not young, in which case keep the 60 as you do not know where your UW pics will go and you could regret it in a couple of years when you are earning more.

I suspect that your working distance with a diopter would be too short for a 25mm. I have watched many a person bury a subject in the sand trying to get close enough to focus with a 60mm and 45mm. Also your focus distance is 25cm without a diopter which makes it really hard for macro underwater. Not an expert though so... hopefully one of the experts will chime in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom