Can go pro do the job while snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mezzy

New
Reaction score
I'm just new to diving and snorkeling and I want to record footage of my first snorkeling.

Just wondering if buying a go pro will do a job or will that be enough?

As diving and snorkeling equipment is expensive, budget is my concern here.

I use a go pro on most of my adventures. I'm a big fan especially when both diving and snorkeling. I vote Yes, and you can pick up a hero 4 or 5 for real cheap now.

GoPro is more than capable for snorkeling. It's a great camera on auto, and then you can start exploring the manual (Protune) settings. One thing to consider once you've practiced for a few hours is to look at getting a tray and handle system to help keep the GoPro steady as you film. Here's a full article on How to Keep Your GoPro Steady. Have fun!

I snorkeled this past summer in Ft.Wetherhill Park Rhode Island. I found that sticking with video, then choosing screen capture has given me best photos. I got great shots of a seahorse, crabs, fluorescent fish at night, all in very shallow water. I’ve also dived for Seals and sharks, photos, (NOT at the same time!!!) in New England. The challenge is the surge that pushes around camera if not braced on a tripod. Still pushes critters and sea detritus around.
Where do you snorkel? What do you see?

Back
Top Bottom