Can I Attach an ISS-2000 Strobe to the Olympus EP-PT01 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andresalcarazb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there, does anybody tried to use the Olympus EP-PT01 Housing with this strobe, the question is becuase I already own that strobe and I´m buying the Olympus E-PL1 u/w set, so I would like to know if I can still use this strobe that is very simple to use and good quality too.

If you are talking about the INON S-2000 strobe and the Olympus PT-EP01 housing, yes they work quite well togather with the fiber optic cord.

Several other posts below which address this setup.

Phil Rudin

Sorry, i was talking about the intova strobe, it´s my first strobe and my budget is i little short right now so i was wondering if this strobe can be attached to this housing.....i know that i wouldn´t receive the ttl benefits but it´s just the beginning

I have the Intova strobe, and was under the assumption that it would work with most if not all housings. I attached it to my cannon housing and got the fiber optic cable for it. The cable is an adhesive velcro so I dont see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Yes, thanks irboarder, the only problem is that this housing has two different ports where you can plug l type sync cord, you can´t place the ahdesive velcro in the housing. So i was wondering if i have to buy one of this l type sync cord and peel it in one of the ends?

I tried this and found it is very difficult. The Intova cable does not have a standard fiber optic connector to go into the housing, it is designed for velcro attachment to a P&S camera. I could not find a cable that would work and my attempts to jury-rig an attachment failed to get the strobe to fire. I ended up using the Intova as a slave to an Olympus UFL-2.

I did read somewhere else that it might be possible to cut the end of the Intova cable, drill a small hole in the cap for the optical port on the housing, and somehow use the modified cap as the connector. I don't know if the cut end of the cable would pick up the internal flash well enough to fire the strobe, but its worth a try I suppose

Last edited:
Fiber Optic Cable (PTCB-E02) THIS IS A FIBRE OPTIC CABLE THAT WILL ATTACH TO THE HOUSING AND I'M SURE YOU COULD MODIFY THE END TO ATTACH TO THE INTOVA STROBE.

Fiber Optic Cable (PTCB-E02) THIS IS A FIBRE OPTIC CABLE THAT WILL ATTACH TO THE HOUSING AND I'M SURE YOU COULD MODIFY THE END TO ATTACH TO THE INTOVA STROBE.

I don't think this can work. The Intova strobe does not have a port for a conventional connector, rather, it has an oval slave window roughly the size of a stretched-out coin. The Intova cable has a flat plastic termination that sandwiches between the window and the rubber surround. If you search for this model on Amazon (sorry I am a newbie so not allowed to post the URL) you can see this about the 4:00 o'clock position on the strobe and also see a photo of the cable

The connection at the strobe end has a cable termination that looks like an LED bulb. It might be possible to cut a cable and somehow affix it to that window but I am not sure that a raw fiber optic end would transmit enough light to trigger the slave. It would seem more promising to use the Intova cable, and cut it at the housing end to insert into the port cap, but picking up enough light without the right termination might still be a problem. It would be worth an experiment to anyone willing to sacrifice a cable though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom