Can I really be bent!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same, tossing and turning in pain. Can't sleep due to it. Nothing makes it better or even dulls it. But I'm in a bad position, I can't call out for another 7hrs, nor can I descend in altitude. Damn near one of the worst pains I have ever felt.

These symptoms sound very much like a DCS hit. You should not delay getting medical attention. As someone mentioned above delaying treatment could cause permanent injury depending on how severe it is. You need to call out, dude. Call in a favor from a colleague. I'm sure you would help one of them if the roles were reversed.

R..

Did you wear a computer in the pool for all that training time? If so, did it say anything?

I once treated DCS symptoms with Oxygen and felt great, pain went away. 12 hours later I was bent like a pretzel and wound up spending 2 nights in Mariners' hospital and did 5 chamber runs over as many days.

Red wine also helped ease the pain...I do not recommend you follow that course of treatment. I was stupid, I was in denial...

You are at Station in case of An Emergency, but you are ignoring the Emergency right in your face. Get Real, Get Out and GET HELP.

I hate to be critical, but the thought process of someone who is a firefighter, and wants to be a commercial diver, really makes me wonder about the decision making in this situation looking from the outside in.

I'm late to the party here and hopefully you've already been seen, but if not, I'd echo the other posters who've said that you need to be evaluated by a physician trained in diving and hyperbaric medicine. It is possible that you have DCS. Echoing @Capt Jim Wyatt, if your symptoms resolve on O2 then you d/c the O2 they could get much worse. It's on the other side of the city from you, but if you get yourself to the ED at either Banner University Medical Center or Scottsdale Osborn Medical Center they can help you.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
I hate to be critical, but the thought process of someone who is a firefighter, and wants to be a commercial diver, really makes me wonder about the decision making in this situation looking from the outside in.

I think his question is legitimate and I'd hesitate to judge him. Even going by the Navy tables he's probably inside the window for ascent to altitude after a dive like that. At least he sought help.

Best regards,
DDM

True. But in his defense.....

This is our culture in emergency services. We ARE 911, we don't CALL 911. I've been in the business 30 years (on the law enforcement side) and it is the way we were taught. We are great at taking care of others but, until recently, there was little to no emphasis on taking care of ourselves. Gladly, this is changing. But institutional culture changes slowly.

So, I can understand where he is coming from. Srtill doesn't change the facts, though. We need to take care of ourselves so we can take care of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom