Can I rely on the dust cap ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't trust the dust cap. I soaked my reg last Sunday, and pulled it out to find the dust cap was no longer there. This, despite the fact that I had a yoke adapter on and the cap screwed on tightly, or so I thought.

I assume now I'm going to have to have it serviced... an expensive mistake.

You can never be too careful with first stages - mistakes can be expensive! We have a no first stage dunking policy with our shop regs, and even our staff with who have acd's on their regs prefer not to dunk theirs.

I agree with most of what has been posted. They are called dust caps for a reason, not waterproof caps. First stages should never be soaked unless pressurized. Otherwise, just rinsing is fine. If you have a cap with a good o-ring inside, it will probably be fine. But I don't see a reason to risk it.

There is no need for a prolonged soak. rinsing your 1st stage is sufficient enough. I recommend a quick dunk or showering with the cap on or if you want to have the soak you should have the regulator pressurized.

There is no need for a prolonged soak. rinsing your 1st stage is sufficient enough. I recommend a quick dunk or showering with the cap on or if you want to have the soak you should have the regulator pressurized.

How does a rinse remove salt water from things like the HP hose to SPG connection and threaded connections like the LP hose to 2nd stage, the yoke/din retainer and other unprotected threads?

How does a rinse remove salt water from things like the HP hose to SPG connection and threaded connections like the LP hose to 2nd stage, the yoke/din retainer and other unprotected threads?

No one said you can't soak the SPG and second stages. We're only talking about the first stages. Leave the first stage hanging over the edge of whatever you're soaking the rest in. But frankly, a quick rinse is probably sufficient if you're diving again the next day. On a week vacation, I do a full cleaning once I get back home.

No one said you can't soak the SPG and second stages. We're only talking about the first stages. Leave the first stage hanging over the edge of whatever you're soaking the rest in. But frankly, a quick rinse is probably sufficient if you're diving again the next day. On a week vacation, I do a full cleaning once I get back home.

Yes, the 1st stage, where the din/yoke retainer is. Most are sealed on the downstream side of the threads so those threads fill with water with the pressure from depth. Many 1sts have other unprotected threads like the ambient chamber to body connection on most piston 1sts.

I agree that these things can usually be done at the end of a dive trip. But, if ignored for a year or two, problems may start to develop unless you are dealing with titanium. Even better than a simple soak would be a FW dive.

I soak the gear overnight and have not had an issue

Just try to inhale from the second stage with the original Apeks dust cap screwed on. You should not be able to get any air. I always soak my regs with the caps firmly on. do not depress the purge button on the second stages when unpressurized, though. My regs were fine inside when I last helped with the service, so this procedure did not do them any harm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom