Can I take shears in my carry on luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do more damage with safety shears than with nail clippers and they aren't allowed either...

mwilding:
You can do more damage with safety shears than with nail clippers and they aren't allowed either...
Yes, but I would not expect logic to come into play in what you can and can not have.

If they take toenail clippers from the pilots, why would you think you'd have any chance of getting onboard with shears? You can't take anything like that onboard. If you want to take it, you must check it! period. And you must leave your checked luggage/gear bag unlocked, or they will come looking for you before they let theflight leave. I am always suprised when I still have my gear when I arrive.

When did TSA start taking nail clippers again (if indeed this is true)??
According to the latest list, both nail clippers & nail files are OK for carry on, as are round nose scissors. Hey, corkscrews are OK to carry on...
Here's the TSA website, you'll have to download the PDF or word files: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=0900051980074366
hmmm... I see that "compressed gas cylinders" are prohibited from both carry-on and checked baggage.

Individual screeners are given a fair amount of leeway to "include" more items to the list. Don't expect them to give you any slack.

If I had a say, you can bring them on my plane. Then use them against Mohamed when he pulls his 9mm that TSA missed. Better yet, pack em. Then when Mohamed stands up and pulls his 9mm, let him come to the cockpit. I can't have my manicure scissors anymore, but I still have my crash axe with the 6 inch spike and the sharp hatchett blade.

Oh, I'm sorry, am I being cynical?

Bob3:
Hey, corkscrews are OK to carry on...
I just flew from Cincinnati to Washington-Dulles and my pocket knife was "flagged" because of the corkscrew. I heard the TSA X-Ray person and the comment was "looks like a corkscrew here" before my bag was searched (just to get the knife w/ corkscrew out). I had checked the bag the prior week and put the knife in my bag so it wouldn't be in my pocket, but I forgot it when I was repacking on Monday to go out again. I really makes me wonder if the knife would have been allowed if not for the corkscrew.

They let all my reg's and computer through, but opened my Son's bag because he had a braces repair kit that included a wirecutter. They let him take it on AFTER they made him smile

rab:
I just flew from Cincinnati to Washington-Dulles and my pocket knife was "flagged" because of the corkscrew. I heard the TSA X-Ray person and the comment was "looks like a corkscrew here" before my bag was searched (just to get the knife w/ corkscrew out). I had checked the bag the prior week and put the knife in my bag so it wouldn't be in my pocket, but I forgot it when I was repacking on Monday to go out again. I really makes me wonder if the knife would have been allowed if not for the corkscrew.

They took away the flight attendants metal corkscrews and replaced them with plastic crappy ones at our airline. What a joke! As if you couldn't do the same damage with the plastic one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom