can I touch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Whats the generally accepted principles on touchin the lovely underwater creatures? I have this urge to hug every fishie I see....or touch corals...pet any fish that would let me get close to it....i know the difference between a pet and a strangle, so definitely not going to hurt anything...

but in general, first is it safe? Obviously I would not think of using a manta ray's tail like a leash or hugging a huge sea urchin...

Touch nothing. What seems harmless touching can be lethal to the crtitter.

Learn to attract critters to touch you. Squid, Octopus, many Shrimp can be enticed to get all over you.

Others such as Damselfish require no real attracting behavior.

Those cute fuzzy worms with the red tips to the hairs that encircle the body? Quite lovable and tasty. Nahhh...Don't touch anything, you'll thank us all later.

Generally as a rule, do not touch anything unless you're going to kill and eat it. In most Marine Parks it is against the rules to touch anything. Also, unless you know what you're touching, you might be asking for trouble (fire coral, bristle worms, some starfishes, jellies, etc.)

No. Do not touch anything. Leave only bubbles and take only memories or photos.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Touching some things is not safe for you, touching others is not safe for them. Sometimes both. And as mentioned touching is against the rules in many places for good reasons. If a critter decides to touch you, it's probably ok - at least for them. :)

There are a few things that may be ok to touch, but until you learn what they are, just don't.

Here's somehing to remember: don't grab your buddy when you're on a shark dive. Hehehehehe

The DM today was poking a big (well, I thought it was big, body maybe 75 cm in diameter) octopus untill it got so annoyed that it moved. Amazing to see it, of course, but I felt bad that she was doing it. And I was slightly concerned that it would get so annoyed that it would jump forwards and suck on to her - or me!

There are lots of things you can safely touch with no harm to you or what you are touching. Knowing which things are OK to touch takes study. If in doubt, don't touch. For example, you can touch a sponge without harming it, but there are some species that hurt you if you touch them.

Touch the Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom