can I touch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe I started this thread 14 years ago lol

I still would like to pet a fish or play fetch with a mantis shrimp
Mantis shrimp are like playful dogs of the ocean

But I know better ...

Come dive with me and I we can talk all about what you want to touch but why you should NEVER touch. I live in the UAE as well.

I was a "toucher" . Petted Morey eels, a large stingray and grabbed a small shark (all true). Then read about a diver that lost a thumb to a morray. My wife was very happy when I promised to stop harassing the wildlife. I've now been addiction free for over a year.

Come dive with me and I we can talk all about what you want to touch but why you should NEVER touch. I live in the UAE as well.

Thanks - maybe we've unknowingly dived with each other. I did 30 dives over the last summer with Divers Down.
Just to clarify, even 14 years ago I knew scorpion fish, urchins, stone fish were poisonous. Along the journey, I learned about other dangerous sea life and that touching is simply ruining the dive for future generations. Sort of like littering in nature.

I was a "toucher" . Petted Morey eels, a large stingray and grabbed a small shark (all true). Then read about a diver that lost a thumb to a morray. My wife was very happy when I promised to stop harassing the wildlife. I've now been addiction free for over a year.

Haha
In my 14 years/350 dives I've never touched anything.
I think I started the thread for fun or to express that I wish I could handle sea life. Same as you would with a pet.

Thanks - maybe we've unknowingly dived with each other. I did 30 dives over the last summer with Divers Down.
Just to clarify, even 14 years ago I knew scorpion fish, urchins, stone fish were poisonous. Along the journey, I learned about other dangerous sea life and that touching is simply ruining the dive for future generations. Sort of like littering in nature.

Not sure we have been diving together but it is possible. I started diving at DD about a year ago when I quit working for another dive center along the coast.

DA1MaIdXYAACvbj.jpg

Peppermint Shrimp - Best Manicurists Ever?

There is a “spa” that has pedicure tanks with fish that do this near me.

Also, lobstering. Spear fishing. But no touching?

Whats the generally accepted principles on touchin the lovely underwater creatures? I have this urge to hug every fishie I see....or touch corals...pet any fish that would let me get close to it....i know the difference between a pet and a strangle, so definitely not going to hurt anything...

but in general, first is it safe? Obviously I would not think of using a manta ray's tail like a leash or hugging a huge sea urchin...

There are several things that are ok for you to touch. These corals and sea creatures are amazingly friendly and great to cuddle up with. :heart::heart::heart:

1.jpg

And

1259950_orig.jpg

Please do not touch anything. Take only memories (and photos), leave only bubbles. N

You can also leave expensive items such as watches and cameras and whatnot for the rest of us to find.

Thanking you in advance....

You can also leave expensive items such as watches and cameras and whatnot for the rest of us to find.

Thanking you in advance....

When you find these things, please sell them then donate the money to the less fortunate.

It's tempting to claim 'finders, keepers' but if you're fortunate to be able to afford to dive, then you can certainly donate to the less fortunate.
Maybe not a cheapie reel or smb, but dive watches and underwater ccameras should be sold and proceeds donated to charity.

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom