Can I use a single wing for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred177

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i was wondering if it would be okay to use a singles wing such as the halcyon pioneer 36# wing or any other higher capacity singles wing. this would only be used for double al 80's, nothing real heavy.
thanks

The problem with trying to adapt a singles wing to double tanks is that the center panel of a singles wing is much narrower than the center panel on a doubles wing. Therefore, if you put double tanks on top of a singles wing, you are going to compress a significant amount of the air bladder so that it can't expand when you fill the wing. This means that the wing, which was marginal on lift for doubles to begin with, may now be seriously deficient in lift.

i was wondering if it would be okay to use a singles wing such as the halcyon pioneer 36# wing or any other higher capacity singles wing. this would only be used for double al 80's, nothing real heavy.
thanks

No. Bite the bullet and buy a wing built for doubles. :palmtree: Bob

Is there such a thing as wings that will work with both? Like say if you go with the OMS and bungie the hell out if them when you are diving a single tank or something?

Or is there really no way to make it work?

Well, if you can find a singles wing that will float your fully pressurized rig with all the attached gear and weighting I suppose you could use it.

After all, it's all about buoyancy, isn't it?

the K

Is there such a thing as wings that will work with both? Like say if you go with the OMS and bungie the hell out if them when you are diving a single tank or something?

Or is there really no way to make it work?

Any of the U-shaped doubles wings would work ok (but not great) with a single tank.

Therefore if you can only afford one wing, then you should get a 50 lb U-shaped doubles wing, and use this for both your twin-tanks and your single tanks.

However you would get better performance from an O-shaped singles wing for single tank diving.

And as TSM has already pointed out, a singles wing will not work for twin tanks.

(Double 120s and 2 steel 72 deco bottles with a Dive Rite Travel wing.)

Actually I was thinking the other way. Is there any way to make a dual bag double wing work with a single tank through creative use of bungies?

The problem with trying to adapt a singles wing to double tanks is that the center panel of a singles wing is much narrower than the center panel on a doubles wing. Therefore, if you put double tanks on top of a singles wing, you are going to compress a significant amount of the air bladder so that it can't expand when you fill the wing. This means that the wing, which was marginal on lift for doubles to begin with, may now be seriously deficient in lift.

thats what i was thinking i just wanted to confirm. something close to 40 lbs should be good for a set of Al 80's and a steel backplate though huh? also, which manufactures make a donut shaped doubles wing? i really prefer them to the horseshoe.
thanks

You could try getting something like the Dive Rite Rec wing. It is designed to work for small doubles (up to 95cf per tank) or it has a drawstring type system to shrink it for use with singles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom