Can Light compass KRoss Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain12Pk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I've never been a big fan of having my compass mounted on my arm. It always seemed to be in contact with my light cord. And I if I moved it up my arm, it put it in almost an unuseable position. Not to mention that when I turned my arm to read the compass, I take my light off my target and often end off pointing it at my team mate. So I came up with an idea. Why not mount it on the light? So this is what I came up with.

X7 Kross Mount - Diver view.jpgX7 Kross Mount.jpgX7 Kross mounted  W DSS XL Arrow in quick draw position.jpg

This particular mount incorporates my trusty DSS Suunto X7 bungie mount and my Suunto X7 compass and my X7 Kross Mount kit (pronounced cross mount) and very nicely attaches my compass to the barrel of my Light Monkey 20-35 HID. The result is that my compass is always oriented with my light, which is always oriented with my direction of travel. When it's clipped off, you don't even know it's there. And if I should decide to go back to a wrist mount for a particular dive, the conversion takes about two minutes.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,
Kevin Ross

... and yes, the "KRoss Mount" name is a play on my name.

That would come in VERY handy when we're night diving/lobstering. We always have our can lights out and at least one person has a compass so we don't have to keep surfacing to check our location. The wrist mount is nice, but does get in the way with the other stuff we carry on our wrists (multiple computers, the big light heads, etc).

Is there any noticeable deviation when you turn the light on?

I was just thinking of basically a goodman handle for a compass when I saw your thread. Very similar concept but yours fixes two issues, while mine only resolves one. Good work.

I think it is a great idea for most dives, but in a dark environment after your compass loses its glow, you can't aim your light at it to recharge it.

If my LED can light head is near my compass, I can see a ~20° deviation in compass reading between "light on" and "light off". Just something to keep in mind and test out.

I'll echo the concern about deviation, both from any metal components, as well as any electromagnetic interference.

Why not just use the compass on the other hand? Finger loop in front, wrist loop in back will put the compass right on top of your hand just like a goodman handle.

Kinda like this, but with a compass not an altimeter.
I1405HandMount.1.jpg

The current from the light head makes no difference in the compass heading. We've tested it in both salt and fresh water environments and seen no variations in the heading whatsoever. I suspect it's because of the thickness of the material the mount is made from acting as a shield.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

Nimoh, You're correct. You can't "re-charge" the compass glow with your light. So far we've tested it down to 172fsw. It was pretty dark, but we were still able to read the compass fine. Our easy solution in the darkest of conditions is to have your buddy re-charge it for you with his light, or hit your backup light. In a deep dark cave, I suppose you'd use your headlights. I do have a solution to the issue. But it's gonna take a bit of engineering.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom