Can only dive 2 cenotes HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBigfins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So will be doing a trip in June/July and can only get away from the family on Cozumel for 1 day of cenote diving. I was thinking of doing the Pit and Dreamgate. Any input? Other combinations or suggestions? I chose these 2 because of proximity to PDC and the uniqueness of each of these 2 dives. Dont really want to head from Cozumel all the way to Tulum, but want the best experience as well. I am NSS-cds cavern certified, with limited experience. Will be diving my own gear except tanks, carry a pony and have good boyouncy.

The shops and guides in the PDC area are familiar with inquiries like yours--people who are getting away from Coz/PDC to do just one day of cenote diving and asking which would be best for them. I would say to ask a few of such shops/guides and see what they recommend. I say "Coz/PDC" because some shops in Coz are familiar with arranging a one-day cenote getaway, too.

You're going to have to go with an op, so that might dictate where you go. Lots do The Pit and the bat cave line in Dos Ojos, but it's worth asking. Ponderosa and Taj are another quick pair that are close together.

Most cenotes, if you don't have full cave, require a guide. Some require a guide even if you're full cave.

. . .
Most cenotes, if you don't have full cave, require a guide. Some require a guide even if you're full cave.

I totally overlooked that the OP's question didn't necessarily imply he understood the need for a guide. So yeah. The guides know.

You're going to have to go with an op, so that might dictate where you go. Lots do The Pit and the bat cave line in Dos Ojos, but it's worth asking. Ponderosa and Taj are another quick pair that are close together.

Familiar with the need for a guide and op. Figured some shops would prefer different sites, with different schedules. So I'm here to find out preferred combinations from people who have spent time diving the cenotes. I can then use those recommendations to determine which shop and sites I will go with based on reputation, availability, and personal fit. There for over 2 weeks so I'm open on which day it is, hopefully giving me a better chance to hit sites that are better for me.

So really just looking for input on the cenotes and cavern limited dives available. I did some preliminary research and liked what the Pit and dreamgate offered. I understand I may have some issues convincing an op to take me to dreamgate without diving a previous day with them. May discuss an open second dive that can be decided after a "check out" dive, if deemed good at the Pit then head to dreamgate and if not hit dos ojos?

Most shops will do two dives at Dreamgate, one upstream and one downstream, but they all want to see you in the water first. Your best bet is going to contact a bunch of shops and proposition them directly to try and get them to split it. Worth a shot, Dreamgate is beautiful, if a bit short.

That being said, you'll probably want to call up an actual cave shop, not the typical "cavern tour" rec shops. Most of those have relationships with the popular cenotes and aren't super keen on deviating from their routine. Call Protec, Under the Jungle, Underworld Tulum, Xoc Ha, Dripstone. They're all cave diving shops, but if they have availability, they're more likely to be amenable to the flexibility you're looking for.

If only doing 1 dreamgate run, do you prefer up or downstream? Knowing its shorter and the op would most likely want to see me in the water first is what had me pairing it with a first dive at the pit. Was hoping that having a cavern cert on a dive that they dont require it, might give me a bit of credibility and an edge towards them accommodating me.

..... I was thinking of doing the Pit and Dreamgate. Any input?.....

The Pit was amazing!
No disrespect intended, but I thought the Pit was boring and just going around in circles.
Dos Ojos was better, but as others said, depends on where the dive op is going to put 2 sites back to back and near each other.

No disrespect intended, but I thought the Pit was boring and just going around in circles.
Dos Ojos was better, but as others said, depends on where the dive op is going to put 2 sites back to back and near each other.

I guess it depends what you like to see. The Pit was my first dive in a cenote and I loved the light rays streaming down, the cloud of hydrogen sulfide layer around the trees, the massive size of the main room, etc. Dos Ojos (batcave) was mostly just some neat formations and that was it. For a first timer, El Pit seemed much more impressive to me.

Back
Top Bottom